mandriva 2006 powerpack DVD install

null

Another prob is I have no internet.  This is the ONLY linux install i've ever done where i did not have a working internet connection after install... (i am connected to a dhcp router, and have DSL).  Prior installs (mdk 8.1, 9.0, RH9, FC 1,2,3,4) all had working internet after installs...

Exact same problem here, and I upgraded a working 2005LE install. Must be some bugs in the network setup.

Easy fixed though, just set up the ethernet card using MCC.

I wasn't really jumping up and down & screaming about mandriva.  I know most of this is fixable, its just that I expected at least this simple stuff to work right off.  I didn't know arctic used FC, I knew cybr did.  Seems weird that some of the main contributors on a mandriva board use something else....

I'm a major contributor, whether I'm any good or not is questionable :P

But I use Mandrake/Mandriva, see my signature. Not another distro in sight!

1) does 3-D nvidia accelleration work after install? FC - no.  Mandriva - no.

2) does mp3 playback work after install? FC - no.  Mandriva - yes.

3) does KDE work after install? FC - unknown.  Mandriva - no - panel doesn't work.

Probably no distro will have 3D acceleration running out of the box as you expect. This is just the way it is. Distros that do have the proprietary drivers are usually out-dated anyway. NVidia's driver is really easy to install. All you need is the kernel-source installed for your machine, and edit xorg.conf and five mins later, you got superb 3D acceleration.

The MP3 problem depends on whether the application is installed or not as part of the base build. If not, then I assume it won't work. The good thing with Mandrake/Mandriva is that when you install, the most common items anyone would like are selected, and therefore, most things work.

KDE I've never had any problems with. I admit I have one panel problem now. However, AussieJohn did mention to me I could have an install that didn't go correctly. I only have a 128Kbps connection at home, and I spent six hours downloading the updates, so don't fancy doing it again. I can live with it for the time being, but I will go 2006 later on the box.

What I will do though, is make sure the system is completely clean before I do it. Any hint of a previous version can cause you all sorts of problems. Upgrades are virtually never recommended because of this. Clean installs you can at least guarantee to minimise the amount of problems you experience.

well, most stuff is working fine now. I did go thru the MCC again, for my ethernet connection setup. That time it worked. MP3 playback worked right away, and nVidia seems to also work properly, without me having to install any driver after installing mandriva. Nice.

Now, for the little housekeeping chores. Such as: my firefox is DOG-SLOW.... I also had to do something with firefox under FC, there was a thread going here some time ago, about making firefox faster (something about IPv6 vs IPv4).

Also, I used (and loved) thunderbird email under FC. Even though I did install thunderbird when I installed mandriva, I am now playing around with Kontac, and KMail. I don't think much of KMail, at least yet. I don't know how to get spam/junk to automatically go to Trash. T-bird was really excellent about recognizing spam/junk. Do I need spam assassin or something?

also, i have gone thru the "easy urpmi" on this website, so now if I want to install something, is it just a matter of typing as root: urpmi spamassassin ? Or is it more involved than that?

thanks!

Hello NULL. I'm glad things are working well for you now. Good stuff. :thumbs:

Funny you should happen to mention about spam and Kmail. Despite my best efforts at setting up anti spam effectively, I can still only get about one third of the spam dumped. It seems to be not constantly using the same keywords I have inserted.:wall: Almost identical spam is passed to that which is dumped. :screwy:

Maybe some MUB users can gives us both some detailed procedural advice.

Cheers. John.

Re: spam and KMail

Came across this in the Mandriva Club Knowledge Base - haven't tried it tho' - I don't get spam. :)

Filter spam with SpamAssassin and KMail

Here is a method to filter spam messages using SpamAssassin and KMail. KMail's configuration wizard is indeed not always sufficient to configure completely SpamAssassin.

1) Install SpamAssassin :): "System > Configuration > RPMs > Install Software"

2) Create a first filter within KMail mentionning: for all heades containing "." (ie all incoming emails...) use the filter program "/usr/bin/spamassassin".

Don't forget to uncheck the option "If this filter is applied, do not continue"

3) Create a "spam" folder in KMail

4) Create a second filter in KMail with following rule: if "X-spam-Flag" contains "yes", move to "spam" folder

5) Configure SpamAssassin: http://www.yrex.com/spam/spamconfig.php This tool will let you create spamassassin configuration file into "/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf" or "~user/.spamassassin/user_prefs".

All default values can be left as is.

thanks, I'll probably try that out.

However, having used thunderbird for a couple years now (on linux and windows) I think that it is really great at saving you alot of time and effort in spam recognition. I usually get 85 or 90% of my spam automatically sent to Trash when using t-bird. And that is with no effort on my part, other than occassionally marking a "missed" spam as "junk", and since t-bird "learns", you don't have to do that all that often.

I'll try kmail for a while longer (i'm setting up the Calendar/To Do portion of Kontac also) before returning to thunderbird.

I too did an upgrade form 2005le 64 to 2006 64 powerpack dvd. I only had 4 problems no internet and ati drivers not getting installed both would have been simple fixes had I taken the extra 2 min to go through the post install and checked the default installations.

1. For some reason 2006 recognized my ati card but did not update the drivers and x refused to start. I popped the dvd back in selected upgrade again and during the post install config I manually re-selected the appropriate driver, monitor ect it installed perfectly and I had working 3-D.

2. The second problem was no internet. For some reason 2006 configured the firewire port on my sb card for the default internet connection. Changing that to the ethernet connection via mmc sorted that out.

3. For some reason after upgrading my account is running as root. Still have to change that. I'm wondering when I go into the mmc if I should verify the root password before changing my account back to user and apply the user password?

4. When I go and play ppracer a box opens up over the game saying not at optimal resolution suggesting the default settings of my lcd monitor. 1280x1024 60hz and ok in a box below it. There is no way to click on the ok, the mouse stays underneath so the game is obscured, along with the games options.

Overall I find 2006 to be very stable. All the files in my home partition open. Music and dvd playback survived. CD-DVD burning works even the Linux Nero version I installed previously. It was a free download for registering my windows copy of Nero 6 Ultra. Previously installed games and Cedega work as well.

opps forgot to add the sound on my Audigy 2 zx was still muted same bug as in 2005le.

you still need to open kmix/switches and toggle on Audigy analog/digital default is still off

Not too bad for upgrade instead of a clean install.

Edited by DarkFoss

c

I too did an upgrade form 2005le 64 to 2006 64 powerpack dvd. I only had 4 problems no internet and ati drivers not getting installed both would have been simple fixes had I taken the extra 2 min to go through the post install and checked the default installations.

1.  For some reason 2006 recognized my ati card but did not update the drivers and x refused to start. I popped the dvd back in selected upgrade again and during the post install config I manually re-selected the appropriate driver, monitor ect it installed perfectly and I had working 3-D.

Good way to recover.

2.  The second problem was no internet. For some reason 2006 configured the firewire port on my sb card for the default internet connection.  Changing that to the ethernet connection via mmc sorted that out.

Same here. Obviously a bug

3.  For some reason after upgrading my account is running as root. Still have to change that. I'm wondering when I go into the mmc if I should verify the root password before changing my account back to user and apply the user password?

Is this an autologin? I manually log in, and my user accounts survived the upgrade ok.

4. When I go and play ppracer a box opens up over the game saying not at optimal resolution suggesting the default settings of my lcd monitor. 1280x1024 60hz and ok in a box below it. There is no way to click on the ok, the mouse stays underneath so the game is obscured, along with the games options.

Overall I find 2006 to be very stable. All the files in my home partition open. Music and dvd playback survived. CD-DVD burning works even the Linux Nero version I installed previously. It was a free download for registering my windows copy of Nero 6 Ultra. Previously installed games and Cedega work as well.

opps forgot to add the sound on my Audigy 2 zx was still muted same bug as in 2005le.

you still need to open kmix/switches and toggle on Audigy analog/digital default is still off

Not too bad for upgrade instead of a clean install.

c

Yes , not _too_ bad...