ndiswrapper makes my system hang

flarefox

I installed ndiswrapper on mandriva 2006 like I always have in previous versions, but when I get to the modprobe part, it just makes my cpu's go to 100% and kills the system. I have an smp system so I have to compile my own ndiswrapper. Any idea what the cause could be? It just sits there...working forever. I haven't left it working for more than 5 minutes because it's never taken longer than 1 minute before. Is there a bug or something that I haven't heard about?

~Dee

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I would try a fresh compile. I use ndiswrapper with my laptop, and it works fine. I have an Acer Aspire 3000. It worked with the rc2 and the official.

I would try a fresh compile. I use ndiswrapper with my laptop, and it works fine. I have an Acer Aspire 3000. It worked with the rc2 and the official.

It still does the same thing. It seems to be a problem with my wireless card. On LE2005 it works fine, but something is driving it crazy on this one. It's a linksys wmp54gs. I have all the available drivers for it loaded, but it never finds any of them. I can't figure it out. Is there a special location I should try placing the newly compiled .ko file instead of modules/{kernelvers}/misc? Should I try 3rd party and ndiswrapper (make folder if not there)? I am not thinking that will make any difference. I ran depmon -ae after compiling it and that all looks fine, but it just isn't liking my drivers...

~Dee

Is your version of ndiswrapper the latest, or is it from a previous download? Might be worthwhile trying a newer version if not already.

Another thing, have you tried going into HardDrake to see if a module is already loaded for it? It could be that your card is now supported by 2006, and when you try and use ndiswrapper it could be conflicting with an already loaded module.

Just a thought, I could be wrong.....

i'm with ian. what version of ndiswrapper? i've not tried it on 2006 yet. so you say it gets past the compile. what drivers are you using? the ones off the cd's or the ones off the website? that's actually made a difference for me before (plus in the ndis.... wiki they advise for the web drivers).

i'm with ian.  what version of ndiswrapper?  i've not tried it on 2006 yet.  so you say it gets past the compile.  what drivers are you using?  the ones off the cd's or the ones off the website?  that's actually made a difference for me before (plus in the ndis.... wiki they advise for the web drivers).

I'm using the ones from the web site with the latest ndiswrapper. I'll try going back to 1.0 instead of 1.4. 1.0 worked fine for me. Time to reboot to see if the card is supported and the module conflicts. Thanks for the help so far. Hope it works!

~Dee

In 2006, ndiswrapper is broken on the smp kernels. You have to install a non-smp kernel for it to work properly. I can't find the errata page on mandriva's new website, but I definitely remember seeing it there.

You could also use your LE2005 smp kernel in 2006 as a workaround if smp support is important. I really haven't noticed a huge performance hit with my P4 HT cpu.

Edited by pmpatrick

In 2006, ndiswrapper is broken on the smp kernels. You have to install a non-smp kernel for it to work properly. I can't find the errata page on mandriva's new website, but I definitely remember seeing it there.

You could also use your LE2005 smp kernel in 2006 as a workaround if smp support is important. I really haven't noticed a huge performance hit with my P4 HT cpu.

Ah! Ok, that makes much more sense. Thanks! I'll try installing the older smp kernel!