Network-related problem stops my machine from shutting down!

Guest changhai

Guest changhai

Hi, fellow Mandrake users, I encountered a network-related problem while trying to shutting down my Mandrake 8.0 linux machine. On the screen, the shut-down process freezes on the following message:

Shutting down interface eth0: dhcpcd[636] terminating on signal 1

This happens (and only happens) when my box is on the LAN (therefore the dhcp client is running). Anyone has idea what might have gone wrong? Thanks for help. :cry:

I get the exact same error on Mandrake 9. I connect to my server that is running a dhcp server. However I never got worried about that..

This is probably due to the fact the network service is shut down before the dhcpcd service. Check the file /etc/init.d/dhcpcd and /etc/init.d/network to see which one is killed first. Fix it if there is a problem and run chkconfig to modify the symlinks in /etc/rcX.d.

You should see the following lines at the beginning of each files (network and dhcpcd):

#!/bin/sh

# chkconfig: runlevels order_start_link order_stop_link

# description: short description of service

Here is a real example:

#!/bin/sh

# chkconfig: 345 25 50

# description: blablabla

So in the above example, the service is started in the 25th place in the runlevel 3, 4 and 5 (5 is the graphical login) and is shut down in the 50th place when you restart/halt your computer.

You have to make sure that the network service is killed AFTER dhcpcd. Once you are sure run 'chkconfig network reset' and 'chkconfig dhcpcd reset' to modify the symlinks.

Hope this help

MOttS