Mandriva 2006 Upgrade (Smart?)

Guest ottothecow

Guest ottothecow

I am running 2005LE and I want to upgrade to 2006. Now, I used to just replace my urpmi mirrors with the new versions but will that work with 2006 now that Smart is the package management tool?

If I go with the "Install" method and keep my /home, am I going to lose things like my KDE themes and settings?

I would really just like a simple guide to do something like a urpmi update but if its going to work better, I will do a fresh install.

I did an upgrade from 2005LE to 2006rc2 by changing my repositories and running urpmi --auto-select and urpmi kernel. It worked without a problem (first time I did not do a clean install). The 2006 mirrors seem to be up now, so you can point to them (main and contrib). For plf I think you still have to use the cooker mirrors, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I did an upgrade from 2005LE to 2006rc2 by changing my repositories and running urpmi --auto-select and urpmi kernel. It worked without a problem (first time I did not do a clean install). The 2006 mirrors seem to be up now, so you can point to  them (main and contrib). For plf I think you still have to use the cooker mirrors, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I'm being a bit dense here - are the 2006 mirrors there for anyone, or just the club members? I can't find 2006 on easyurpmi...

Guest ottothecow
are the 2006 mirrors there for anyone, or just the club members? I can't find 2006 on easyurpmi...

I saw them on easyurpmi yesterday when I asked this question but I think I am going to go with the reinstall and just keep my home partition. I do so much experimenting that who knows what is screwed up on my / partition that it makes more sense to start with a clean install. Also, I got the dvd image last night so I might as well.

hi

tried to upgrade from 2005LE to 2006. nightmare. GUI didnt load. I installed 2006 beta which worked but had lots of files missing.

re 2006 update. gui doesnt load as xorg.conf is looking for libglx.a in /usr/x11r6/lib/modules/extensions but it isnt there!!

i am now re installing 2005 LE least that works...

If you have a reasonably fast internet connection you can do a network install. Download the boot.iso from one of the mirrors and follow it from there. (choose network install, http, dhcp, official (change '/current/' to 2006.0 in the mirror address (it's a bug) etcetc)

My install lasted a bit less than two hours. Quite acceptable for a ftp-install. But make sure that you select the right mirrors. I accidently started reinstalling LE2005 before switching to the correct 2006 repos. :D