Seeking USB Wireless LAN recommendation

sellis

I'm about to buy a WiFi USB dongle for my second PC, and I've been looking around the web for recommendations. There's a lot of conflicting information out there about which USB wireless LAN products work under Linux. (Specifically, 2005LE.)

The Linksys WUSB54G seems to be quite popular, but only on certain versions of the product, and it's a similar story with other products.

So, I'd like to ask the good Linux-people on the board, do you have WiFi working via USB, and if so, on which device?

I've tended to only use proper WIFI cards, because I've known a few people who don't like the USB WIFI, all sorts of problems they experienced, performance issues, etc, etc.

I could only recommend a proper internal WIFI card, or if laptop, PCMCIA, or miniPCI if the laptop supports it. I chose minipci for my laptop, because I only have one PCMCIA slot, and I'd like to keep it free just in case I want WIFI and PCMCIA slot at the same time.

I have a D-Link DWL 122G USB WiFi device, model "B1", and it is working quite well so far using the ndiswrapper driver.

It is not perfectly stable however, and sometimes, the link comes down. Besides, to start it in the first place, I usually have to plug it in, then unplug it, and finallly plug it again, and wait... up to 1 minute.

Yves.

Thanks for the feedback.

Just to give you some background, I have just got a second-hand small form factor system, so my wife can do internet shopping from the sitting room (I must be mad).

It only has one slot (shared PCI/AGP), which is currently occupied by a TV-in card. Hence the interest in an external WiFi adapter.

If the consensus is "Don't!", however, I can easily move the TV adapter to my other machine instead. In that case, I'd probably go for a WMP54G like I have in the other machine. At least I know how to set that one up.

Edit: I guess I could also look at a wired connection to a wireless access point, but that's getting very messy (and more expensive).

Edited by sellis