what the hell did I do with my cd?!

solarian

Ok, long story short, I wanted to burn a backup data cd in k3b.

I put all the folders I wanted in the burning place, but didn't notice that in one folder I had included a copy of one top level folder

top folders [a] [c] [d] and [c] has another [a] in it

I only noticed it when it stopped burning, and the weird thing is that k3b showed it only to be 700mb as if the double folder counted as only one.

I tested it with adding a few more files and it showed an incese in mb to burn, but it didn't when I put in copies of files.

So now I have a standart 700mb cd that Konqueror shows as 770mb, k3b says it's 700mb and when I copied its' contents to a hd folder it really ended up 770mb!

Now, my question -> is the other dublicate folder only links burned by k3b and Konqueror just double copied those files without actually reading two different folders,

or does my cd actually has physically overburned to 770mb?

And if that's the case, should I reburn the cd, because 770 is too unstable for a 770mb cd.

I have Rock Ridge and Joilet extensions in cd's filesystem.

In case you have a different computer, not running Mandriva, try reading that CD with it. I guess that the CD will be rather problematic and I would reburn it. After all, CDs are not expensive. :juggle:

I have only 4 cd's left in the house.. oh well.. I'll probably reburn it.

I tried to read it on W2K using VMware and it showed that the cd is at 700mb,

but when it copied the data to a hd, the data was at 770mb

And a bonus to that, k3b didn't even show it had enabled overburning!!

I think some gremlins might be plotting something X(

p.s. They (the cd's) are very expensive here, our moronic government has succumbed to Latvia's' equivalent of RIAA and imposed a ridiculous cd-tax!!

What burning mode did you use? If it wasn't MODE1, then you shouldn't be surprised!

Please take a look here for more info.

Of course for plain data you should always use MODE1/2048, as else the error information is reduced and chances to have a coaster by just a few C2 errors or a slight surface scratch are simply great.

Edited by scarecrow

I doubt strongly this has to do with mode 1 or 2 burning - it should actually not be possible to end up burning with mode2 for data discs.

What I suspect is that solarian actually dragged the same folder to the k3b burn zone twice. This means that the data is not there twice, just as one can have a number of hard links to files - a 4.4GB dvd iso with 3 extra hard links to it will show up as 4 files of 4.4GB = over 17GB, but take up only 4.4GB of disk space.

Now I'm not sure how this works in the iso9660 format, but if you have something similar there, and you copy things back to the harddrive, it will copy each file. Making an iso image however, for instance with dd, should not give you a larger than ~700MB iso file.