Unable to set up LAN printer[solved]

Kowash

Hi

Still sort of Newbie.

MY SETUP

I have a P3 500mhz Mecer Notebook connected via ethernet to my XP box AMD 1700mhz. The LAN is connected through a router (8 channel switch). My HP 1010 and HP 5150 is connected seperately to my XP Box by USB cables.

I AM ABLE TO

My network is working properly and I am able to browse in both directions. I am also able to browse the internet through my XP Box.

MY PROBLEM.

I am unable to set up any printer through SAMBA because it does not detect my printers. It detects my PDF printer, and that is it.

I'VE TRIED

I have tried to do the "localhost:631" in the Firefox webviewer and it returns a SAMBA page that I am unable to use because I don't know the Pword and username. My log in info does not work.

I have done the "smbclient -L office" ("office" is my server name) command in my terminal program. It shows both my printers.

I have also read that Windows (bless their hearts) have a batle with working with sharing if the computer name and user name is the same. My computer name is SILVER and my user name kowash.

MY SOLUTION

I understand that I have a problem with my CUPS according to what I have read.

Can anyone help.

PLEEEEAASE

Kowash

Edited by Kowash

Ensure the cups service is running (you can do this in mcc). I don't know how to state this without being patronising, but you do know the username for root is root, not su?

Otherwise, I have no idea whats going wrong!

No offence taken. I must admit. I feel stupid cause I know it is something really simple that I am missing.

I don't want to sound stupid but what is su?

I have tried the same password as I use for my root and log in.

I did not set up any other pwords?

Thank you for the help

Kowwash

su is a utility that is used to switch users (in a console), by default it switches you to root and many people new to unix like OS's think this is the "root command".

When you installed, you should have been asked to set up an administrator password (the root account), and then a personal account with a username and password. Is this what happened?

To configure cups you need to use the username root and the admin password.

Sorry if this is what you're already doing!

Of course, he may not have set up a root password (I didn't)- so he should then leave it blank?

I suppose so, and then set a root password :cheesy:

Seriously, it's a very very good idea!!

Ok, thanx for that.

I did not know that the username for root was root. It worked wonderfully.

Once again I learned something.

Offcourse I still have the same problem, the only difference is that I can log into that localhost631.

I don't know how to set up a printer manually

Please help

Kowash

Click Manage Printers -> Add Printer

You can add what you want for the first three fields. The connection type is windows printer via samba. You then need to add the path to the printer which is in the format:

smb://WORKGROUP/username:password@HOST/Printer

Where all of these paramteres refer to the windows machine. If you have the guest account active on the windows machine, you only need:

smb://WORKGROUP/guest@HOST/Printer

Good luck!

It worked !

Thanks a lot. My test print was great, but now this created another crisis.

If I print a 2 or more pages document from Openoffice it does not print the second page. Although, if I specify it to print only the second page it prints it with no hassles.

Kowash