how do I install a real player?

doody

Dear usergroup,

I want to watch video (e.g. bbc news etc). So I've downloaded Real Player 1 for Linux. There is now a Real Player icon on my desktop. However, I don't have a clue what to do next.

Yes, this is a major challenge!

When I open the icon on the desk top it shows a box with RealPlayer10GOLD.bin on the top then underneath a list of known applications. (???)

When I look at the instructions for installing it says...

- Ensure that the .bin file you downloaded is executable. You can make the .bin file executable by running the "chmod a+x RealPlayer10GOLD.bin" command from a terminal window.

- Run the .bin file by typing "./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin". Follow the prompts provided to finish installing the player.

- When you launch the player for the first time, a set-up assistant will take you through configuring your player.

- Enjoy your RealPlayer10 for Linux!

I would be grateful for any help and advice that is offered. Bearing in mind that I've never typed a command line in my life and I don't know what a shell or kernel is.

Many thanks, doody :cry:

The real easy way is visit this link and download the RPM package:

http://www.real.com/linux?pcode=rn&src=fre...eplayer_partner

it's a text link under the yellow button (under Advanced). Then you just run it, and it's all done for you!