nvidia lockup issue

aRTee

To everybody who has a home network and can ssh into a machine running Linux and the proprietary nvidia driver.....

There have been reports of the screen locking, sometimes without even being able to move the mouse, sometimes the mouse does move, but in any case ctrl-alt-F[1-6] or ctrl-alt-backspace do not work. Nor does ctrl-alt-del, so a clean shutdown is out of the question.

Now, due to my setup, I manage to duplicate the aforementioned issue, which for some happens only after 3 or more days of uptime....

If I unplug my vga cable, after shutting down the monitor of course, my display will no longer respond. Using ssh from another machine does work fine, and top quickly shows X as taking up all resources.

I did an strace at various occasions, in most cases it tells me X asks for the time: gettimeofday, and sometimes it's requesting something about an alarm setting....

Anyway, plugging the original monitor cable back in, and killing X, upon which it restarts,, doesn't really help.

After a few moments, usually by the time I'm logged in and KDE is done loading, X goes haywire again. Even when doing telinit 3 and telinit5 so really stopping X...

I can go to the console before unplugging the monitor cable, but that doesn't help - unless I do telinit 3, then switch cables (I have to switch since I want to connect my projector to watch a video), then telinit 5, all is well.

Oh, and no, I can't use the dual head feature of my graphics card, gf4200-64, since the overlay hardware gets attributed to the first head it finds, and since I don't turn on my projector when I turn on the pc (the lamp has a limited life and is very very costly), the monitor gets this overlay hardware, leaving blitted video to the second head, and the tearing is really horrible...

So if this open hardware graphics card gets out, I'll be the first to buy one, but for now I'd like to know it other people also have this unplug+lock problem. If so, I'll contact nvidia support about it.....