Question about system freezing / fsck

link_

Well latly i have to face alot of system freezes and abnormal abortions... and i noticed that mandriva asks u at boot up if u wanna check the discs (if u didn not shuted ure pc down correctly)...u have 5 seconds do say yes

and i just wondered what in fact does this check do... i mean i didnt done that check every time when i have killed my system or didnt shutted it down correctly...

so is it bad if i forgot that sometimes... and what does it help me if i done...

also i wonder how that system works.. i mean i checked my boot-log... and the parts where bootup is checking the discs made me a bit confused...

those part where i didnt done the repair, it says sumthing like this

"fsck: /dev/hda2: clean, 89183/1913184 files, 369866/3823462 blocks"

and at parts where i did the repair it looks like this ->

"Oct 7 04:59:25 fsck: /dev/hda7: recovering journal

Oct 7 04:59:27 fsck: ^A/dev/hda3: |

Oct 7 04:59:27 fsck: ^B"

so i askd myself what in fact is the difference if i do repair or if i do it not...

for me it seems that if i dont select to repair the systems it auto--assumes that the system is clan without even checking it... and if i do the repair then it really checks it...

but im not sure... so plz help me with clearing this up...

also how can i check my hard-disk if i forget to push yes at the 1st 5 seconds...

im a lil paranoid now if i may lost data and how the recover system works and what i can do !!

thx for any help!

:afro:

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

fsck will check your harddrive. At bootup, you should definitely check the harddrive if your system was shutdown unproperly, otherwise, you might corrupt your data. For all options on fsck, type in a terminal "fsck --help" and "man fsck".

Your system freezes can be cause by either a dying harddrive or (more likely) a problem with your RAM, thus you should run Memtest86 in order to check your RAM for bad clusters (it will take a rather long time).