Modem Detection

Guest satchothenewbie

Guest satchothenewbie

Right now, mandrake isnt seeing my modem, does this mean i need the modem's drivers? If so, where can i get drivers for and ESS ES2838S D400, or something that is at least compatible. I did a search on google, but there was nothing for the modem that is for linux. I have no idea what other drivers are compatible with my modem (if there is sucha thing as different modems using the same driver). I would appreciate any help i can get.

If it is a hardware modem, then you only have to point your dial-up app to the serial address of the modem.

If it is a WINmodem (LOSEmodem?!?!) then you need to install the drivers as a module to get them to work (or recompile your kernel).

Is this an internal or external modem??? If it's an external, it's most likely supported. If Linux is having difficulty seeing it, then check for hardware conflicts. The most likely culprit is a shared IRQ.

Guest satchothenewbie

Its an internal modem I have seen nothing on the drivers disk that says Winmodem. The modem works fine in Windows. Yes i have looked at the other modem posts, but they dont seem to apply to my situation. Maybe if i take out my LAN card, it will work, since i am not on a LAN...

Its an internal modem I have seen nothing on the drivers disk that says Winmodem. The modem works fine in Windows./quote]

it's a winmodem...bad' date=' bad stuff. i'd explain to you why, but i'd probably bore you to death :)

exactly what model is it? there may be help...check here: http://linmodems.org/

Guest satchothenewbie

Oh well, i don't want to have to figure out all that compiling from source stuff, not right now. I just started using linux 5 days ago. I think i need a new modem anyway, it keeps stalling in mid dial in windows. I want one fully compatible with linux and windows(if possible, or just linux). Any recommendations? Yeah i have searched for Linux modems and found some, but i want to know what you all think.

I'd like to here some suggestions myself. I had the USR5610B-PCI "hardware/ self controlled", and compared to my conexant winmodem it was great. satchothenewbie, the driver for this one is in the kernel...you just have to point the symlink /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS4.

I know everyone is going to suggest an external and that's fine, but no one ever says which one, and I've never heard anyone say just how much better they are. Is it worth 30 to 50 bucks more?..ect..

satchothenewbie, I'm not trying to divert or confuse matters. I would just like to see you, and yes myself, get more than, "get an external modem". :roll:

Is there a PCI better than the USR5610B? The more and better responses, the less this question will be asked...hopefully :wink:

Are externals that much better???

Well, yes and no...

Yes; Insofar as they can be moved around easier, they are easier to configure in both Linux and Windoze (no IRQ shuffling, just use the default one, provided no cards in the system are stealing it), and they almost invariably take a processing load off of the CPU in terms of data throughput (I can't think of an external serial modem that doesn't have an integrated DSP, digital signal processor).

No; Insofar as you usually pay a little more (my answer to that is buy a cheap no-name brand with a well supported chipset, like the Rockwell chipset, for example), many times they are not bundled with the serial cable, they take up extra room, and usually require another power outlet for the power supply, and they use up one of the computer's external serial ports...

I got my external serial for $45 at show prices. It's a generic and works just as well as a Hayes or US Robotics. I can use it on any machine with a serial port and don't have to crack my case open to move it. I will never go back to internal modems, and certainly not to WinModems (LoseModems, if you ask me).

Thank you JaseP!!! BOY!!..look at all these other replies :roll: I ended up getting the USR5686 External. There was other chioces of course but I'm use to the fax software that comes with the USR's so that's why I went with it, mostly. I was also curious to try it because of a thread at the old club.nihill, where users claimed transfer trates of 10, 12, and I think someone claimed 15kb per sec. Yeah right....what?..did they have brand new perfectly installed lines, live one block from their ISP and two blocks from the telephone co.'s tranfer station (whatever)? From what I understand and have read this is impossible. I get about 6.5 with this new modem at 6500cps which is a connection greater than 52000bps. From my research (and I'm no expert) it's extremely rare for a modem to go above this and next to impossible to go over 56000bps. I understand all the aspects that can effect the connection, but I have never known anyone personally with speeds even close to mine. The lines I have control over are top knotch (no interference) and installed correctly, as I'm a certified level 1 network cable tech. Oh well, I'll stop ranting and getting off topic, though it doesn't seem as though anyone else wants to make any modem suggestions.

As far as speed?...this external is slightly better than the USR5610B(500cps), and does stay connected better. Worth 30 more bucks?...is to me :twisted:

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~leslie/testpage/testpg56.htm

If I'm missing something please let me/others know, and/or correct me.

Thanks again for replying! :wink: