Mandriva 10.2 on Acer 4061WLMi [solved]

Hi I'm a Linux newbie seeking help.

Decided to convert from WinXP after getting tired of frequent crashes, viruses and spamware.

Loaded Mandrake 9.0 on Acer 4061 notebook previously. System worked quite ok, but could not use Skype, or play music CDs or DVD movies. Switched to Mandrake 2005 LE 10.2 to try and get Skype working.

Unfortunately, now connection to internet does not work.

Connection is to a LAN connected to D-Link router with cable broadband.

Ethernet card is Realtek RTL-8139. Module identified is 8139too

If anyone has solution or workaround, would appreciate your help. Many thanks.

Enabling force no apic should solve your prob, as per the post.  This has done it in most if not all cases I've experienced this, and with others I've assisted.

Tried "enabling force no apic", and disabling IPv6 with adding "alias net-pf-10 off" line in /etc/modprobe.conf still doesn't establish the connection :angry: Wonder what I should do next ... Try another Linux distro or go back to WinXP :help:

Just to let you know that I have experimented with Knoppix 4.02 and Ubuntu 5.10rc live CDs. And found that with Ubuntu, the device and network detection is very good on my Acer 4061 notebook. I have switched over to Ubuntu 5.10r for now. Thanks everyone for your help.

I take it you've installed Ubuntu instead of LE2005? If you have LE2005 still running on your system, if you could post the results of an ifconfig -a we might be able to go further.

If you have installed Ubuntu, then no worries.

:thanks: 3:47 PM-->

QUOTE (ianw1974 @ Oct 11 2005, 0 :thanks: 3:47 PM)
I take it you've installed Ubuntu instead of LE2005?  If you have LE2005 still running on your system, if you could post the results of an ifconfig -a we might be able to go further.

If you have installed Ubuntu, then no worries.

I have installed Ubuntu 5.10rc. At least for the time being till the official release of 5.10 Breezy Badger. I also discovered that the Ubuntu liveCD 5 is very useful for testing of hardware and devices compatibility. I used both Knoppix liveCD and Ubuntu liveCD to do the testing. For a Linux newbie, I would strongly recommend use of liveCDs before actual install as they will minimise the time and energy spent in troubleshooting.

Thanks for your help earlier.