canon iP1600

Guest mighty_falcon

Guest mighty_falcon

hi there

i am trying to install a Canon iP1600 printer, but i cannot find the linux driver for it anywhere...i tired looking for the ppd file but no luck with that

what do you guys suggest? i tried using one of the other recommended canon drivers but they didnt seem to work at all

:thanks:

Turboprint is your safest bet, although it's commercial (37 $). The current version supports the older series' model (iP 1500), but you can use that driver until the new Turboprint version (1.94) includes iP 1600.

The Japanese Canon website may (or may not) have a (hardly official) driver for it. The Canon support for Linux has always been questionable, to say the least.

Whether or not a cheap, sub-90 bucks printer is worth spending +37 for Linux support is your decision...

Edited by scarecrow

That is the very thing I dislike intensely about Canon. Forcing its LINUX customers to have to resort to using a ripoff company to get some sort of driver.

No one will ever convince me that turboprint can justify their high price. No matter how you look at it, it is price gouging.

They try to pull a con by saying there is a free version. Yes, but it prints a huge Turboprint logo right in the middle of the page in such a way as to make the page totally useless.

Companys like this Turboprint are scum and I would NOT recommend them to anyone, not even to people I dislike.

Compare that with Epson that assists Linux programmers to write drivers and also has a lab working on producing drivers for their printers and scanners.

John.

Guest mighty_falcon

so the olny option i have is to prety much just pay for a 3rd party app?

anyone been able to find the driver for this canon model or anything similiar?

tnx for the replies guys :)

• 1 month later...

another Cannon iP 1600 user searching for the drivers. Purchased this printer before making the switch to Linux. No way would I buy this, or any other printer, w/o Linux support. Listening Cannon? Will post back if I find anything.

Epson has the best support for Linux by far.

Canon makes the best printers, but with virtually no support.

HP makes crappy printers, with less than average support for Linux (although probably better than the Windows one!), but for some reason it keeps being very popular...

The choice is yours.

Oh, BTW I do have a Canon Pixma i5000 (quite simply because it's a killer printer at a great price), and I shed the bucks needed for buying Turboprint- in my case, 37$ more sounded fair since I paid $ 225+VAT for the printer...