Internal PCI DSP Venus chipset modem

Guest djringjr

Guest djringjr

My problem is the same as described here.

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=22855&hl=kppp

I've gone through that, but haven't done the winmodem recommendation (yet).

The modem PCI Actiontec Callwaiting modem is recognized as in the above topic, all is the same.

There is a proceedure in the ActionTec booklet that tells you how to set up the modem for Linux.

I tried this but it wouldn't work. But I kept on looking and I found a "solution" to the problem that told me about urpmi and how I could enter in the root console:

Lucent Venus Chipset pci modems

Our company has used several of these for 24x7 dial up connections with almost no problems (except setting them up :-)

The Mandriva hardware GUI incorrectly shows it as a winmodem

These instructions are edited lightly copies of the document presently available at ftp://ftp.multitech.com/3rd-party-patches...x-pci_linux.txt

Physically install the modem.

Login to your system as "root".

urpmi setserial

Determine the resources used by the modem. less /proc/pci

Look for an entry that has vendor id = 11c1 and a device =id = 480=

If you have looked at the modem in the hardware GUI it will show a PCI device number that also shows up in /proc/pci.

Note the IRQ that this device uses as well as the first I/O address that is listed. The address will be similar to 0x7400

Use the IRQ and I/O address obtained in step 6 to set up the serial port that the modem uses with

setserial /dev/ttySx uart 16550A port y irq z autoconfigure where x is the serial device you want to use, y is the I/O address and z is the IRQ.

Example

setserial /dev/ttyS2 uart 16550A port 7c00 irq 10 autoconfigure This installs the modem on Com 3 using address 7c00 and IRQ 10

You will want this command to execute each time that your machine boots, so you will want to put the command that you typed in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Make a symbolic link from your serial device to /dev/modem with ln -s /dev/ttySx /dev/modem

where x is the serial device that you chose for your modem above.

One way to test if your setup is working *assuming you have the screen utility installed is to type screen /dev/modem If it's the first time you have run screen, it will give you some useage instructions. Hit the space bar to get the flashing cursor top left, then type at and you should get an OK from the modem. Hit Control-D to exit screen and go get something to celebrate.

This is the best article I've found on the internet.

See the article here: http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/MoDems

But I can dial out with kppp. I get stopped when I do either a PAP or Terminal Based log in.

I found out that this ActionTec modem requires a CR to respond to ATZ so unless the modem is configured to use either CR or CR/LF I can't get kppp to work.

If I try PAP (or other) I can by the log screen that kppp gets as far as:

Username: <myusername>

Password: <mysecret>

INCORRECT TRY AGAIN

But that is where the log in hangs up. My password is getting rejected.

If I go to Terminal Based login, I can do the same thing, but I've also tried sending LF or CR or LF?CR signals in the Terminal by using Ctrl-L and Ctrl-M - the log in still won't work.

Before you're eyes light up with answers - here is the puzzle:

If I go to root console and enter

screen /dev/modem

atz

OK

atdt5551234

CONNECT 50,200 v42bis

Username: <myusername>

Password: <mysecret>

Then *Magic* - I start the connection. I don't get a rejection, and my screen starts "printing" connection characters.

But I don't know how to start pppd so that I can use the internet.

I've downloaded the newest Kppp networking package for Mandriva SE 2005 and installed it. No change.

I've seen quite a few of these posts - and no one has seemed to be able to fix it.

The modem logs in fine with Windows XP, and I used to use it with Mandrake 7.1 fine with no problems.

The modem needs a CR to respond to commands, but when I just use CR for the modem, I can't log in. It looks like the ISP wants just a LF but even if I send one, it won't log in.

But I can log in using screen /dev/modem or screen dev/ttyS4 (which is the real address of my modem). I made a symbolic link between /mod and ttyS4.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Does this need to be shown to the kppp developers? It seems a common problem which no one has fixed.

Best Wishes,

David Ring

Am assuming this is an internal PCI modem for dial up?

I have installed both winmodems AND linux compatible internal PCI modems, and can tell you - both require drivers and installation of these drivers is likely to make you sit PLUNK DOWN, start rocking gently back and forth and begin picking aimlessly at little twigs of grass. :screwy:

Resist the urge to go internal.....why?

installing drivers could take 2 hours OR.........2 weeks or more.

Why torture yourself when there are external serial port modems?

1. ext ser port modems require NO DRIVERS

2. these modems are generally faster than many int PCI modems

3. Google for Actiontech, USRobotics, or Best DATA

4. If money is an issue, they can be had used on ebay or at local thrift shops for $3.

5. Always make sure your ISP is linux friendly

good luck

B)

Guest djringjr
Am assuming this is an internal PCI modem for dial up?

<SNIP>

good luck

B)

Yes, it's true - and internal PCI modem. I've seen many requests for help on this, but no one has been able to do it. I used to have it running on Mandrake 7.0 - which was the last version I had before 10.2 but I can't get it to work on 10.2.

It required no drivers on 7.0 - at least none that I had to put in myself.

Be well,

David