How do you install programs? Mozilla, Yahoo, etc?

NewAgeLink

I don't even know which I need to download (on the right.)

snapshot1.png

I'm guessing Free BSD? This is Mandriva, not RedHat or Debian...? Or is it based on one of those?

Basically, Windows Installer is messed up, so I can't install a program I need to connect to my college network... so I use my dual-boot Mandriva 2005 Limited Edition...

But I don't have the programs I want on it, and I can't figure out how to install them.

Anyone know which download I need for Yahoo Messenger? or what IMs allow for webcam and mic? Other thread said only gnomemeeting for camera, and skype for speech... but that was Jan 7; hopefully it's changed since then?

Also, how do I install or update Mozilla Firefox? Thunderbird? Sunbird?

And anyone know any good resources to learn about Linux? How to operate it, install, uninstall...?

You should download the rpm version, which I think is the Red Hat one. Mandriva's packages are all rpm based, which I believe derived from Red Hat. Unfortunately, webcam is not supported in it. I tend to use GAIM or kopete instead, as you can also sign into MSN, ICQ, AIM and some other chat services too. One program does all. Although they don't do webcam either, but I believe kopete will do shortly. Someone did mention one previously on here, might be worth doing a search for webcam and see what posts come up. I can't remember what the program is called!

There are a number of ways to update software, the best is through easyurpmi. At the top of this page, is a link, and you can set up mirrors for main, contrib, jpackage, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree. If you've already downloaded updates for your machine, then no need to select it again :P

You can update Mozilla through urpmi, although I tend to download it from Mozilla's website and then install it. This can be to /home/username/firefox (or wherever you prefer). If I wanted it for multiple users, then I install to /usr/local/firefox, but if one user, then your home directory is fine. The same for thunderbird too. Not sure of Sunbird, never installed, or know what it is.

The FAQ's on this website is a good place to start, and Tips and Tricks as well can also be handy. Have a search and a little play around, and it'll all come quickly!

Have fun :P

Yeah, I went to https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=10615 and felt rather stupid. Started a new session as root and it installed seemingly without a hitch.

Then I went back to my primary session and couldn't figure out how to start it. (I checked both boxes to make menu items in both GNOME and KDE; it's not on the menu.)

If it doesn't have webcam then I might as well not worry about it, as gaim more or less works fine (and i can sign into yahoo through it, too.)

*sigh* Why doesn't Linux have a standard webcam/mic IM program? Why don't more companies design for Linux? AIM, MSNM, Yahoo... I know Microsoft is rather corrupt (and it's self-explanatory why they don't like others), and AOL just sucks, but what's Yahoo's excuse?

And is upgrading to 2006 mandriva a good idea, when they release the final version?

I'm waiting for 2006 to be released finally, I won't try it in beta or RC1 :P

An upgrade can work OK, but from CD media, rather than urpmi. Urpmi is more difficult for upgrades, and can be achieved, but I find other little niggly problems. CD tends to be best.

Although, I think when I do it, I'll do a clean install rather than upgrade the existing installation. This is the preferred method. As long as you have a separate partition for /home, then you'll be fine. Otherwise, you got to copy all the files off to another machine, reinstall and then copy them back again after!

And is upgrading to 2006 mandriva a good idea, when they release the final version?

Lots of warts still in 2006 (cooker). I would give it until probably Apr/May 2006

before I would switch over from Mandriva 2005 LE which is turning out to be one

of the most stable and reliable OS's around.

Lots of warts still in 2006 (cooker). I would give it until probably Apr/May 2006

before I would switch over from Mandriva 2005 LE which is turning out to be one

of the most stable and reliable OS's around.

Wait, it's really stable? o_o; I've gotten the impression it's pretty buggy... It's being kinda slow, sound occasionally doesn't work, it takes FOREVER to boot... ("checking eth0 something..." (ethernet cable connection, I believe. If it's attached, it only takes like eight or nine seconds, but if not, it sits there for a good minute (sit and count sixty seconds; takes FOREVER, before it says "failed". Duh, I could've told you it wasn't plugged in...)

How can it be so stable? They say they've fixed like 300 bugs 2005 LE has...?

Have I tried what?

I'm currently using Limited Edition 2005... I have 2006 Beta 3 on three CD-Rs, but haven't used it yet (although I've tried a number of times trying to upgrade LE, with the option the installation gives you... but it says "not enough space", which makes no sense, as I gave the partition 20 gigs...)

it takes FOREVER to boot... ("checking eth0 something..." (ethernet cable connection, I believe. If it's attached, it only takes like eight or nine seconds, but if not, it sits there for a good minute (sit and count sixty seconds; takes FOREVER, before it says "failed". Duh, I could've told you it wasn't plugged in...)

Then why don't you leave it plugged in?

If you install XP plus the Windoze equivelents of all the software included and installed by LE2005, do you have any concept at all of how many bugs would be found in that much Windoze software? People forget how much software beyond the basic OS is included with Linux distros. When M$ talks about bugs in Windoze, there talking about the base OS, a browser, email client, Wordpad, Imaging, etc - i.e. the base OS plus a few basic apps. But when the number of bugs in a Linux distro is discussed that includes much, much more - sometimes literally thousands of applications, which are not under the supervision of a single company with unlimited resources. IOW, the total number of bugs found in a huge beta release like 2006 is amazingly low. Billy Bob Gates can only dream of doing so well one day.

...it says "not enough space", which makes no sense, as I gave the partition 20 gigs...)

If you want to see how much space your have on you partitions, the quick and easy way is open a terminal (konsole, aterm, xterm, whatever) and at the '$' prompt type:

$ df -H

..which should return info something like this example from my box:

Filesystem             Size   Used   Avail Use%  Mounted on
/dev/hda5              818M   212M    565M  28%  /
/dev/hdb1               99G    78G     17G  83%  /data1
/dev/hdd1               61G    23G     36G  39%  /data2
/dev/hda9               11G   8.1G    1.7G  84%  /home
/dev/hda1              2.0G   811M    1.2G  41%  /mnt/windows
/dev/hda7              4.2G   3.0G    990M  75%  /usr
/dev/hda8              2.1G   1.3G    731M  63%  /var

If you want a Windoze-type GUI instead, try KDE System Guard (ksysguard) or Gnome System Monitor (gnome-system-monitor). Either of these will give you partition info, CPU and memory usage, running processes, etc.

Edited by Crashdamage

it takes FOREVER to boot... ("checking eth0 something..." (ethernet cable connection, I believe. If it's attached, it only takes like eight or nine seconds, but if not, it sits there for a good minute (sit and count sixty seconds; takes FOREVER, before it says "failed". Duh, I could've told you it wasn't plugged in...)

Then why don't you leave it plugged in?

I'm talking about when I take it to my classes; I'm in college, and use it to take notes (and, unfortunately, play games *cough*breakout*cough*frozenbubble*cough*) in my Psychology and Music History classes.

If you install XP plus the Windoze equivelents of all the software included and installed by LE2005, do you have any concept at all of how many bugs would be found in that much Windoze software? People forget how much software beyond the basic OS is included with Linux distros. When M$ talks about bugs in Windoze, there talking about the base OS, a browser, email client, Wordpad, Imaging, etc - i.e. the base OS plus a few basic apps. But when the number of bugs in a Linux distro is discussed that includes much, much more - sometimes literally thousands of applications, which are not under the supervision of a single company with unlimited resources. IOW, the total number of bugs found in a huge beta release like 2006 is amazingly low. Billy Bob Gates can only dream of doing so well one day.

No, I mean, how can Mandriva Limited Edition 2005 be so stable? I thought 2006 Beta 3 fixed like 200-something bugs Limited Edition 2005 has... http://www1.mandrivalinux.com/en/mandrival...-2006-beta.php3 Isn't each release of Mandriva an improvement over the previous?
...it says "not enough space", which makes no sense, as I gave the partition 20 gigs...)

If you want to see how much space your have on you partitions, the quick and easy way is open a terminal (konsole, aterm, xterm, whatever) and at the '$' prompt type:

$ df -H

..which should return info something like this example from my box:

Filesystem             Size   Used   Avail Use%  Mounted on
/dev/hda5              818M   212M    565M  28%  /
/dev/hdb1               99G    78G     17G  83%  /data1
/dev/hdd1               61G    23G     36G  39%  /data2
/dev/hda9               11G   8.1G    1.7G  84%  /home
/dev/hda1              2.0G   811M    1.2G  41%  /mnt/windows
/dev/hda7              4.2G   3.0G    990M  75%  /usr
/dev/hda8              2.1G   1.3G    731M  63%  /var

Mm, thanks.

[daniel@localhost ~]$ df -H
Filesystem             Size   Used  Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda5              6.2G   4.1G   1.8G  70% /
/dev/hda7               12G   267M    12G   3% /home
/dev/hda1               34G    13G    22G  38% /mnt/win_c
/dev/hda2              7.4G   3.1G   4.3G  42% /mnt/win_d
/dev/hdc               148k   148k      0 100% /mnt/cdrom
[daniel@localhost ~]$

I really am loving Linux; it's funny that I have to get on Linux to try and fix Windows... The only thing I lack is an IM client with webcam and microphone. Why doesn't it have these? (I've been told, btw, that gaim v2 is supposed to have a webcam...?)

Well, when using a notebook here and there the only thing I can think of is when you know your next reboot will be without a 'Net hookup, to go to MCC and disable eth0 before you shutdown so it doesn't waste time searching for a connection at boot. Maybe someone else here has a better idea...

No, I mean, how can Mandriva Limited Edition 2005 be so stable? I thought 2006 Beta 3 fixed like 200-something bugs Limited Edition 2005 has...

Because all or most of those bugs probably have nothing to do with stability or because they affect only certain apps, not the OS as a whole.

Isn't each release of Mandriva an improvement over the previous?

Of course. This isn't Windoze, where Win98 was better than WinME, Win2k was better than XPee, Office 2000 was better than Office XP. With Linux, most stuff is GPL so changes are made to actually improve things, not just to get new product on the market. Real, meaningful progress is contatnly being made in Linux distros and applications. That doesn't mean you have to have the latest, greatest Linux distro to have good system, any more than you have to have the latest, greatest Windoze to have a good (cough) system.

it's funny that I have to get on Linux to try and fix Windows...

This is not unusual at all. Windoze needs crutches and bootable CD's of Linux makes handy ones.

Can't help you with IM - never sent one, never will.

Edited by Crashdamage