I'm stuck with getting my wireless to work

ramfree17

i have read the pinned wireless tip thread but it doesnt seem to apply to me directly. let me just give a brief recount.

i have a gemtek card with my amilo pro v7010 (yes it is a laptop but it fits right here than in the laptop section) which is reported to be supported and working in debian with kernel 2.6.10.

anyway, mandriva le 2005 detects it and autoconfigures it to eth1. when i do a iwconfig it gives out this output:

eth1      NOT READY!  ESSID:"Ramfree"  
         Mode:Managed  Channel:0  Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00   
         Tx-Power=31 dBm   Sensitivity=0/200  
         Retry min limit:0   RTS thr=0 B   Fragment thr=0 B   
         Encryption key:AAAA-BBBB-17   Security mode:restricted
         Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
         Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
         Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

the ESSID and encryption key are supplied by me via the commandline because the wizard is taking forever to complete. although i have already installed the ndiswrapper from the installer it is not being shown in lsmod. heck, modprobe ndiswrapper gives out an erorr that it cannot be found. the module for the card is 'prism54'.

i am also trying to change the channel to 6 because that is the one used by the card when in windows. however i cannot seem to budge the channel setting.

where can i find the information on why the card is not ready? what logs do i have to open? can you direct to what steps i need to do to get this thing working, or at least what steps do i need to do to start getting more information that can help resolve this problem?

my lowerback is already hurting from using the coffeetable and i can only use windows if i use the kitchen table since i cant make the lan cable run all the way to the kitchen area without courting disaster.

thanks for your time.

ciao!

I know, this is not helping much... I read (some time ago) that there exist a native linux driver for prism chipsets. Maybe, worth checking... Clearly, the problem is due to ndiswrapper not loading. Did you try driverloader? I had no luck with ndiswrapper, buy driverloader works like a charm - I am typing this message via WiFi.

ah, so it is the same as linuxant. :D

ill put that off as the last resort. i dont know if my wife is going to approve buying a license from them (and i am going to sell this laptop when i go home so it might not be a wise decision).

ill try to hammer out the native solution. wish me luck...

ciao!