Java and Mozilla

Ironfighter

Pride comes before a fall. I thought I had Java enabled fully in both Mozilla and Epihany (which I do really like) and not in Konqueror. It turns out I can see java applets in Konqueror but not in Mozilla :cheesy:

In Konqueror the path to Java executable is </home/laurie/j2re1.4.2/bin/java>. Can anyone tell me how to get Mozilla fixed up please? I don know what happens to all the ¨ln¨ commands I have tried via the terminal but if they don´t self destruct I must have a mountain of them somewhere . :D

Thank you for replying.

I have tried to follow the instructions in the manual without any success. It seems to me I have installed version j2re1.4.2 in two locations. The first install was in /usr/local. This folder has a padlock? on iit when I view it in Konqueror. I then installed it in my home folder . This is the install that I am linked to in Konqueror (which is opening java applets).

I suspect I am making a fundamental error somewhere (possibly to do with permissions which at this stage of my learning curve baffle me).

According to Konqueror, I have two Mozilla folders in /usr/local/ - one called <Mozilla> and one called <Mozilla 1.7.2>. My attempts at enabling the installation follows:

[root@localhost laurie]# cd home/laurie/j2re1.4.2

bash: cd: home/laurie/j2re1.4.2: No such file or directory

[root@localhost laurie]# cd /home/laurie/j2re1.4.2

[root@localhost j2re1.4.2]# cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.2/plugins

[root@localhost plugins]# ln -s/laurie/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so

ln: invalid option -- /

Try `ln --help' for more information.

[root@localhost plugins]# ln -s/home/laurie/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so

[root@localhost plugins]# cd /home/laurie/j2re1.4.2

[root@localhost j2re1.4.2]# ls

bin/ ControlPanel.html INSTALL lib/ man/ README Welcome.html

CHANGES COPYRIGHT javaws/ LICENSE plugin/ THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.txt

[root@localhost j2re1.4.2]# cd /plugin

bash: cd: /plugin: No such file or directory

[root@localhost j2re1.4.2]# cd plugin

[root@localhost plugin]# ls

desktop/ i386/

[root@localhost plugin]# cd i386

[root@localhost i386]# ls

mozilla/ netscape4/

[root@localhost i386]# cd mozilla

[root@localhost mozilla]# ls

libjavaplugin_oji.so

[root@localhost mozilla]# cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

[root@localhost plugins]# ln -s/laurie/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/mozilla/javaplugin_oji.so

[root@localhost plugins]#

Edited by Ironfighter

here is a howto from this site:

http://www.mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=4548

When doing the ls command, putting a slash in front of the folder ( ls /pookie) takes you to the root folder. If you want to see a folder within the current one, just do something like ls pookie/

The same goes for cd and ln. Also, always put spaces between your options. In your ln command, you typed ln -s/pathname. The lack of a space there made ln think that -s/pathname was the option you were trying to enable.

If you ever want to make sure you're typing it right, type the first few letters of whatever it is in the path you want and hit the tab key. That will autocomplete folder names for you if they are present in the path you type (ie. typing ls /home/lau and then hitting tab will complete that so it then says ls /home/laurie). Hitting tab twice will list all files in that folder.

Hope that helps! It's my first time giving info on this thing, so I'm sorry if I missed something. :)

~D

For me, this is how I did it, and worked no worries:

ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_01/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

for you, make sure you're sat in the mozilla plugin directory, and then type this:

ln -s /home/laurie/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

and see how you get on with that. I noticed your using an early release of java than me, but the line above should work fine for you. Maybe download and install the updated version. Keep us posted.

Thank you all. I am certainly learning about how to change directories and the importance of spaces in linux terminal commands. As you can see below I seem to have a number of Mozilla folders on this computer. :cheesy:

Before I go to plan B which is to download and install the latest version as suggested by ianw1974, (bearing in mind I have got Java applets loading in Konqueror with this version), is there anything wrong with what I have done in this latest series of attemps?

[laurie@localhost laurie]$ cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.2/plugins

[laurie@localhost plugins]$ ln -s /home/laurie/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

ln: `./libjavaplugin_oji.so': File exists

[laurie@localhost plugins]$

[laurie@localhost laurie]$ cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.2/plugins

[laurie@localhost plugins]$ ln -s /home/laurie/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

[laurie@localhost plugins]$ cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

[laurie@localhost plugins]$ cd /home/laurie/.mozilla

[laurie@localhost .mozilla]$ ln -s /home/laurie/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

[laurie@localhost .mozilla]$

[laurie@localhost laurie]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost laurie]# cd /home/laurie/.mozilla/plugins

[root@localhost plugins]# ln -s /home/laurie/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

[root@localhost plugins]#

I bet some of you out there are having a laugh about this. :D