Windows 2000 and Samba

Guest clivus

Using Mandrake 8.0, 9.0 and win2k multiboot as my server and dailup gateway (think I'm getting the terminology right...) connected to win2000pro client machine by ethernet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"At first try to browse the network windows takes a long tim to come up with the workgroup then long time trying to look inside the workgroup eventually it sometimes comes up with the client and the server but usually tells me the network name cannot be found then either show nothing or just the client machine!

"What the **** is the network name??????"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I previously had win95 mandrake 8 and 7.2 on this machine (server) and recently upgraded the hardware with new motherbord and athlon 1Ghz chip.

The new board has AGP LAN and winmodem onboard.

Everything was working fine on the old setup with dial on demand, Samba, firewall etc all woking fine. The machine was serving webpages (Apache PHP MySQL), windows shares for fat and linux partitions (Samba).

Alas no more!

Obviously the built-in S3 Pro Savage 2D/3D AGP is not recognised so I lost my GUI on both linux installations. Tried to upgrade the 7.2 install to Mandrake 9.0 - lots of problems so I did a clean install.

The Mandrake 8.0 is basically intact and now set up to boot into text mode

[bTW the 2 linux installs share a home partition and swap drive - so far this doesn't seem to have been a problem.]

I'm not too worried about the 9.0 for now - it's going to take some getting used to, but I'd like to get the MD8.2 back to full functionality.

SAMBA is invisible

I've had it working a few times but rebooting seemed to wipe everything out.

I've been using WebMin all along so I've got connection and Apache was serving pages which I could also access with my webeditor through a previously setup shortcut to a share of /home/HTTP.

This is the situation now except that apache will no longer start and I cannot see the samba shares in MyNetworkPlaces!!!

At first try to browse the network windows takes a long time to come up with the workgroup then a long time trying to look inside the workgroup. Eventually (30secs+) it sometimes comes up with the client and the server (though not for several hours now); but usually tells me the network name cannot be found then either shows nothing or just the client machine!

What the **** is the network name??????

I found something on the net about maybe having to wait 48 minutes but it was working before without having to wait 48 minutes!!!!

First question - is it windows, is it samba or is it Mandrake that is causing the problem? My money is on Mandrake I'm afraid.

I had put the LAN card from the old board on the new board. So I had 2 ethernet cards. I gave then both the same ip no. Is that wrong? Apparently it was but changing the ip didn't help. Bringing it (the new onboard one) down did help, so I configureds it not to start at boot in linuxconf. Unfortunately next boot it was back and up!!!

I've since disabled it in the bios.

Mandrake seems to have a habit of undoing things which is getting really annoying.

Any clues out there - I've configured 'til I'm blue in the face!

AGP

I tried using the basic vga server instead of the previous Matrox G200 driver by editing the XFConfig-4 file - didn't crash but monitor was blank and the res would have been impossibly low.

XFdrake didn't have any drivers that would work and I tried a lot of them!

Tried upgrading to newer XFree from the 9.0 disk using linuxconf - dependency nightmare!!!

Anyone have any ideas how I can get some basic SVGA display without upgrading? I don't need great quality because I'll mostly use the machine as a webserver.

Which brings me to the next problem.

APACHE has gone belly-up

httpd-perl and httpd refuse to start. I had it working fine but in the process of trying to get Samba working I've messed something up.

I think I may have shut down the client with open files in the HTTP dir.

I've also changed the hostmane a few times.

The lock file is 0 bytes and deleting it didn't help.

Should I be looking for a pid?

I'm groping in the dark here.

TIA for any help