hostname problem [solved]

Guest DrPat

I need to change my hostname "localhost" as I get a error message saying "localhost" is not a correct hostname for a DNS server.Hostname must be a Fully Qualified Domain Name.

I'm wondering if someone could explain how I can change my hostname & where.

I changed it in /etc/hosts but I still get the same error stating "localhost" & not the name I added.

So where do I change hostname and also can I be given a example of what a hostname actually is?

is is something with ".com" on the end or is it the name that I want to call the Computer etc ,I am a bit unsure.

I did google but couldnt quite find a answer to my problem.

I've normally used the gui method to configure it. System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/Hardware/Network card and configure and enter it in there.

I'm not sure where else it's held. I believed it was only in the /etc/hosts file, but I might be wrong.

Normally, it prompts for hostname, and for me, mine was just called "mdklinux". It mentioned about fully qualified, but it really isn't needed, and worked without any problems for me. I left the search domain blank too as well as zeroconf.

Thanks 4 help but 4 some reason ,& it might seem hard to believe but I went into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/Hardware & there was nothing 4 network card. only 4 things like Monitor,TV Card ,Printer etc

I also looked in "configure the hardware"

I am using the latest test release of Mandrake 2006 RC1, so I dont know if they forgot to add it there?

Thanks., I had to set up my network interface again which I wanted to avoid because I had problems getting my Internet working properly in the first place so I decided after a bit of hesitation to go for it & everything is now OK.

Which was the reason I was hoping I could just edit a file somewhere etc but it went well.

Thanks Again