Starting server with no ethernet cable

Guest jhz

Hey,

Am using a server to share internet amongst 3 wireless hosts and 1 wired host. Because I only have 1 wired host, I am using a crossover cable rather than a switch. However if I boot the server when the wired host is turned off, then the network driver doesn't detect a link and so an IP address is not assigned to the interface. As a result, dhcpd doesn't start, and must be manually restarted once the wired host is turned on. This is rather annoying, does anyone know how I can disable this behaviour i.e. the ethernet interface is always assigned an IP address regardless of whether it detects an active cable or not?

My server is running Mandrake 10.0 and the ethernet card is a Realtek 8139 using the driver 8139too.

Thanks,

Jared

There are two ways, one of which is allocate a static ip address so that it doesn't look for a dhcp address. That way, it's always got an ip, etc, etc.

The other, is if you boot the server without it, you don't have to reboot, but just do ifdown eth0 and ifup eth0, and it should then get an ip address. This will save you having to reboot.

You're misunderstanding. The server is the one that doesn't get assigned an IP address, it has a static IP configured, but somehow if there isn't an active cable, then ifconfig shows it has no address and then DHCPD (which is serving addresses not receiving one) refuses to start, so the wireless clients don't work either.

Ah sorry! My mistake :P

Do you have netplugd enabled in services? This apparently detects for network heartbeats which sends the link up and down. On my machine, this service is stopped, so my interface is always up, and shows an IP, even though the cable is unplugged.

Maybe this might help.