Systemwide stutters

Guest tacomodo

Guest tacomodo

Hello all.

I recently decided it was time to try out linux and ended up installing Mandriva. The install went fine, as far as I can tell.

My problem is that I have these INCREDIBLY annoying stutters. I can move the mouse around and it will stop every other second, but still wind up where I moved it even though I can't see it. Same goes for keyboard - I can hold down a button and it will repeat at a certain rate, but stop every other second (not missing any characters, I just can't see the screen update). This gets tedious when you try to move or close windows, as well as do just about everything else.

Now, I figured this might be a display driver, so I downloaded some .rpm and a .run file from www.ati.com that I thought would be a simple doubleclick->install display driver kind of deal... The .rpm file says it installed, but as far as I can tell, nothing really happened. Same problem after a reboot. That .run file, I have no idea what to do with.

So, anyway, does anyone know what I am talking about? Any suggestions? I don't know if this helps, but I'll list my system:

A64 3500+

DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-d (using onboard NIC)

1 gig PC3200 ram

Radeon x800xl 256 meg

60gb harddrive

Audigy 2 zs

USB mouse (same problem with PS2 mouse)

Have you recently added or changed hardware? My first Mandrake install was ultra sensitive to things like loose connections, cards not installed as securely as possible. It was a good thing too, because it led me to figure out my heatsink was loose. Windows just carried on with an occasional inexplicable crash or freeze. Mandrake gave warnings about temp etc that led me to the problem. Any loose connection can play havoc with your system....

Steppenwolf is quite correct. The fact that windows is seemingly rock solid does NOT mean a thing. The fact that no hardware changes have been made also doesn't mean a thing. Whether you are using USB or ps2 for keyboard or mouse you will need to look at cleaning those connections. Nearly all stuttering effects of keyboard or mouse are due to poor connections and the high frequency vibrations of the case caused by fans etc is enough to cause the jittery effect. The fact that nothing else seems to be effected supports this idea.

Cheers. John.