Xmms: Playing MP4s [solved]

Guest Keeley Kat

Guest Keeley Kat

Hi there,

I currently use Xmms to play my music on Mandriva 2005 le. However, I am unable to play MP4s. I have gone on to install the Xmms MP4 plugin, xmms-mp4Plugin-0.2-1.i386.rpm, but installation fails and the following error appears:

"Some package requested cannot be installed: xmms-mp4Plugin-0.2-1.i386.rpm (due to unsatisfied libstdc++.so.2.10)"

I have tried finding the libstdc++.so.2.10 rpm on the internet but no luck so far. Does anybody know where I can download this from, or can tell me if I need to infact install a different rpm to this one?

Many thanks,

Keeley

Edited by Keeley Kat

I do not know why you are looking on the internet for libstdc++. It is on the one of the CDs you used for installing the OS.

Open Mandrake Control Centre (MCC) and select Software Management then select Look at installable software and install software packages..

Scroll down through the list till you see libstdc++.

You will see two with that heading, tick them both and install.

Cheers. John.

• 1 month later...
Guest Keeley Kat

Hi AussieJohn,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your response to my query. I am new to Linux, which is probably why I didn't think of looking on the OS CD.

Anyhow, I have done what you intrstructed and it does not work. It still comes up with the exact same message.

Any suggestions anyone?

bvc, thanks also for your reply. You mention that you convert to aac format first, how do I go about doing this?

Many thanks,

Keeley

You need to install an mp4 decoder to play these files (just as you need an mp3 decoder to play mp3). The program (lib) that does that is called: faad. (it's in plf). If a music application is compiled with faad support installing faad will let it play mp4s. Xmms needs a plugin (also in plf)

Guest Keeley Kat

Hi all,

Thanks to all who replied to my post. I have now solved the problem...seems I was an idiot and tried to install an xmms-mp4 plugin which did not match my xmms version. I have now installed xmms-mp4Plugin-0.5-1.mdk10.2.thac.i586.rpm as opposed to xmms-mp4Plugin-0.2-1.i386.rpm.

Keeley