LE2005 (10.2) error...

Guest Sliker_Hawk

Guest Sliker_Hawk

I got Mandriva LE2005 recently and it does this:

I put the DVD in the drive and waited for it to boot.

Mandriva appeared and asked me to press F1 for help or Enter to install. Obviously, I hit enter and waited a few seconds before seeing the error message 'Could not mount compressed loopback'.

After I press 'Ok', it informs me that I can safely reboot my system.

I have tried installing multiple times to no avail.

There isn't much more I can tell you. That's all it does.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Guest Sliker_Hawk

I've got Windows (XP) taking up most space and 2Gb of un-formatted space.

I got the disk from ebay, from a company who have sold that ISO to a few people and they said they havn't had any problems, and the disk is ok from what I can tell.

Edited by Sliker_Hawk

You could try pressing F1, and then typing "linux noapic" without the quotes, and see if that helps any. You could always try "linux ide=nodma" as well if the first one doesn't work.

Also, check the BIOS for Plug and Play OS and make sure it's disabled, as can cause probs with hardware detection.

Guest Sliker_Hawk

I tried both of those with no success.

I [think I] found the Plug & Play settings, changed them to manual (if there's supposed to be one which lets you change it to disabled, there isn't) which also didn't change anything.

This is just a guess, mind you, but you mention in your second post you bought an "ISO". That's just an "image", not the real install disk.

So the first thing you need to do is (in Windows) use your Nero Burning software to write that ISO disk onto proper disks (I believe the "Make Data CD" is the Nero 6 option).

Did you do that, already?

That may be why this "compressed loopback" message is appearing...?

I've got Windows (XP) taking up most space and 2Gb of un-formatted space.

This is another possible problem. How big is your hard drive? You need, I would say, at least a decent 20-40GB disk to have 2 OS's installed concurrently.

Edited by richfly

You can install Mandriva on a 1 GB partition but that is NOT recommended :D

If you can, make up more room for Mandriva (some 5 GB all in all should be fine). When trying to install it, unplug all USB-devices. Do you see any error messages when starting one of the Terminals? (ALT+F2, ALT+F3)

Dear Experts,

I'm getting exactly the same problem while installing from CD. In my case however I already have MDK10.2 installed and am trying to reinstall after some kind person hacked in and messed everything up. I'm using the same install CDs that worked perfectly last time.

At the moment, I've refrained from FDISKing the drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks

CD

• 1 month later...
Guest shakeel_jee7

AA

Dear All !!

I have problem regarding Installation of "Mandriva 10.2" in my System. Anyone know about the Solution, please help me...I am very thankful to u.

Here, I am telling you some problem with Mandriva 10.2 CDs, Please help me. I did my best to solve, but I could not.

Problem:

When I boot from Mandriva 10.2 CD1, after completing "Loading Program to Memory" stage, it gives the following errors:

"Could not mount Compressed loopback Sad"

when I press OK, then it gives an other error;

"Fatal Error finishing Initialization", when I press ok, it displays

"Exited Abnormally Sad" and wants to restart PC.

When I try to boot from Second CD, it gives the following errors:

"No CD-ROM found" and asks about driver from a given list, but could not work at any cost.

Remember, I have Seagate SATA 120 GB drive, LG Combo Drive, CD-ROM Drive, 512 MB RAM. I tried all my possible tips and tricks but of no avail.

When I put my friend's Hard Drive in my computer, and Install Mandriva, it worked fine, passing from that stage and continued to next stages...

I also did new Partitions of My Hard Drive, but also then it gives the same error. Before some days, I installed "Fedora Core 3", but that's installation was fine without any errors.

I also tried to reset the MBR (Master Boot Records), but it could not solve the problem. I think it is some problem with Partitions in my Drive. I did partitioning again by "Power Quest Partition Magic". Windows works fine, but Mandriva is not installing.........

Kindly help me about this problem. Thanking you in anticipation.

Waiting for your responce.

AH

Shakeel Ahmed

• 11 months later...