software install

Trio3b

trying to install DansGuardian into MDK 10.0. Requires CD4 which I do not have. Went to Easy URPMI, followed instructions, after download , software installer still required CD4. BTW software installer lists required dependencies but doesn't say which ones are where, so I don't know what got loaded from CDs 1,2,3 and what was needed from CD4. (or from 'net)

Any help?

Thanks

Edited by Trio3b

Open the Mandriva ControlCenter, Software, software manager and remove CD4. (or open a console, log in as root and type: urpmi.remove CD4)

OK, don't know what I did but dansGuardian showed up twice in software installer so clicked on different version. This time it did download all dependencies and installed them, I know this because download took about 8 min. (DSL) and install took another 3 min. Finally "software loaded successfully"

But still don;t know where package went and how to access it. Shouldn't it be listed in menu someplace? Or is it a plugin under mozilla or konqueror?

Thanks

I know nothing about the DansGuardian package but I can give you two ways to find out what files it installs and where they are.

As the root user in a terminal, issue either of the following commands:

(1) using urmpq

urpmq -ilr DansGuardian

(2) using locate

updatedb

locate dansguardian

Using the 1st command, I see that it's probably installed into /usr/sbin/dansguardian. Note that there are a lot of files in /etc/dansguardian.

Note that the packagename is in Mixed Case but the installed files themselves are lowercase.

After installation, you can also read it's manual: man dansguardian

It may not necessarily show up in the menu structure. Some packages don't.

Edited by jboy

Wow -urmpq command not found either as root or user...hmm...you are right about DG being in /usr/sbin.

I think I screwed something up trying to install Dans Guardian. Used MCC to use package mgr to download some dependencies and said install was successful. Now that I think of it, I may have tried to install a different version of DG using dependencies from the first version. My system should be fairly toasted by now, altho most apps and games work.

Now however MCC wont start either thru GUI or CL. In GUI, hourglass spins then goes away.

In CL:

[root@localhost ****]# mcc

/usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libDrakX/auto/c/stuff/stuff.so: un defined symbol: Perl_Gthr_key_ptr

Have rebooted.....no luck

Someone suggested "rpm -e drakconf" which I did ,

then "urpmi drakconf" and this is return:

[root@localhost /]# urpmi drakconf

Can't locate URPM.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.2 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/urpm.pm line 13.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/urpm.pm line 13.

Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/urpmi line 23.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/urpmi line 23.

I guess urpmi being in green text means an executable? How would I restore that file?

I have MDK 10.0 install on another PC....wil try to study those files, but in meantime....

Any help?

Edited by Trio3b