Mandriva safety net :)

Guest FM1

I've been using Linux almost exclusively for a little over a year and I'm not allergic to research or figuring things out myself--and asking when I can't--but I must admit to a sigh of relief when Mandriva makes it effortless. I got a new flat panel monitor; Debian made me work for it, but Mandriva got it right from the start. My (100% Win-only) husband surprised me with a new sound card and cringed (inwardly, of course) when I saw it was a SB Live! 24-bit because I'd read about so many problems with it, but Mandriva detected and configured it with no help from me beyond a little tweak of gnome's volume control. Today is my birthday and he bought me an HP printer--I had no idea whether it was supported and it would never occur to him to check. Again, Mandriva didn't let me down. I connected it, booted up and there it was--all ready to use. I have another partition for (mostly breaking) other distros, and it's great fun to figure out how to make things work even if there are times when I question the wisdom of my having the root password, but when I need to get something done and don't have time to fuss with it, I want Mandriva on the grub menu. If you got this far, thanks for reading my sorta-ramble; I'm just so pleased when stuff works. :)

P.S. Cute little heart post icon. B)

it's always good when stuff just works :) though I enjoy using Gentoo and messing with stuff, there at times when I wish I could just switch on some "figure it out yourself, damned OS" switch and it would all work :)

Yes, but I've also had two HP scanners that weren't supported (bought the last two years ago when I was still mostly using Windows) so "HP" doesn't exactly inspire confidence, or at least not yet. I have no real experience with HP printers because my last two have been Canon and before that, Lexmark (though nevermore); all I saw was the brand and thought, "Ack. Hope the Linux support is better for printers than scanners." Apparently, it is, and that's just fine with me! :)

I have a Canon printer, and it prints grey and not black! Something I have to live with unfortunately, but hey, c'est la vie :P

My next printer, if and when I have to buy one will be HP, because they always work a treat. I use my laptop with Linux in the office, and the HP printers are just way cool cos they just work :P