The Great Mandriva

fahd

Hi Mandy fans!

A long time ago I have decided to write my experiences with Mandriva linux in general. At first Mandriva Linux seemed to be the best choice for all of us (Linux fans). Unfortunately I became frustrated due to a lot of things. For example: some apps which ran well in the previous versions of mandy did not work in the new version due to missing libs. No matter, because I downloaded the missing libs from fedora and suse and they worked well as I suggested.

The other thing I desliked in Mandriva linux WAS the minor development. The main difference between versions were presented in KDE, GNOME and Kernel version. So I did not feel that Mandriva is aiming to produce an innovative linux stuff, something completely different from those in the market. Something more user-friendly linux product was kindy needed from those who like Madriva and buy it.

I always believed in Mandriva and surely knew that (without any doubt)it is matter of time and money to make a good stuff.

The time has arrived. Since Mandrake began acquiring Conectiva and buying some Lycoris assets, my colleagues and I (here in Budapest) have been feeling a good amazing. Hence mandriva Linux deserves more respect and more compliment for the huge work.

I watch COOKER very well. I installed Mandy 10.2(which we bought), after then I forgote the Updates. Instead, I used Cooker. Updating my cooker-10.2 version as fast as possible. Here my family completely satisfied of this cooker version. This means one thing: Mandriva feels the big responsibility and bear it. They give the folks all over the world a heavy-push toward FOSS (Free and Open Source Software). Don't talk about which linux distro is the best. Just let the linux home-computer users tasting the cake.

In the past, we installed SuSE linux on some computers at job. It was not difficult to realise that, suse was not the good choice. Then we decided to try Mandriva linux. We like it because it is very simple and reasonable. It is the most general-purpose Linux distro I have ever seen before. Really, it is very pleasant to install and use it with a lot of linux-apps and using windows-related apps with codeweavers crossover office. It is very hard to make a place in the market, especially when this company is almost 7 years old. No matter how many obstacles on the track, we should achieve goals. Just go ahead and show your hard commitment to create a Linux PRODUCT for the folk.

Many thanks to all of the mandriva developers and management, who hardly work day by night to provide us with such a New-Generation of Linux product, with a clean and apparent concept of „How To Atract Linux Fans Attention” to Linux world. A lot of thanks.

Ahmed Fahd

IT dep. Chief

Budapest

• 3 weeks later...

And good to see some positive sentiment from Ladislav in this weeks Distrowatch weekly:

What an exciting week this was! Besides a stable release of GNOME 2.12 and a beta version of Firefox 1.5, four major Linux distributions have entered the final stages of their development cycles - Mandriva Linux 2006, Slackware Linux 10.2, SUSE Linux 10.0 and Ubuntu Linux 5.10. Of these, which one is going to be the winner? While Ubuntu seems like a distribution with the most new features, it is Mandriva's latest beta release that caught our attention during the past week. The reason? The breathtaking boot speed.

That's right - while many distributions have been talking about speeding up the boot process, an area where no Linux distribution compares favourably with Microsoft Windows, it seems that the developers of Mandriva did not just talk - they simply did it! And the result? On our Pentium 4 test box with 384MB of RAM, Mandriva 2006 RC1 takes 23 seconds to boot into the console login prompt, and 52 seconds into full KDE (bypassing the KDM login screen)! This is a remarkable achievement when compared to SUSE Linux 10.0 RC1, which takes 108 seconds to boot into KDE, or Fedora Core, which needs 76 seconds to boot into GNOME on the same system.

Edited by Rainer