network mandriva with xp pro

bonebags

:banana: ive just put mandriva 2005 on my 2nd pc. although it found my internet connection and i got the internet im wanting to network it with xp on my 1st pc. when i enter network places on my xp pc i got mandriva folder there but cant find where to put the things i want to share????.

also how do i enter the xp pc from mandriva??

and how do i set up my printer which is on my xp pc???

:help:

Once you have installed the samba package (the samba daemon doesn't need to be running) accessing files and folders on your XP PC is as simple as:

1.enabling file and folder sharing under XP, and then righclicking any of them which you want to share and pick "sharing and security" menu.

2.On the Linux client part, simply opening konqueror and typing in

smb:/xphost

on the address bar.

I assumed that your XP box network name is "xphost", but you can also set it as "home", "winxp", "fantomduck" or whatever else you want, by (re)running the XP networking wizard.

For sharing files the other way around (accessing from XP files and folders on the Linux machine) samba daemon must be running on the Linux box, and be properly configured.

Samba configuration can be done graphically on Mandriva by many ways: 1. the webmin administration suite, 2. Mandrake Control Center, 3.The "kcontrol" application and its samba module, plus some more...

Edited by scarecrow