Resetting the cmos battery

Having found that I really can't do without my laptop, I'm trying to resurrect my old and dead one. Much googling has lead to the idea that resetting the cmos might help. After taking the thing apart (a very frustrating exercise) I've located the cmos. Unfortunately, everything that I can find online about how to reset it doesn't apply. It's a round brown and silver battery about the size of a 1 eurocent piece (just smaller than a 1p piece), it's soldered onto the mobo and there are no visible jumpers near it.

So does anyone know how to reset a cmos like this?

If it is soldered, you should not remove it unless you are a very good techie. I'd google on "reset bios". There are many hints available on the web (I remember that I found lots of pages with different solutions once). Just take a look. ;)

Resetting the BIOS on a desktop mobo is done by moving a jumper for a few seconds. On laptops it's done in a totally different way, and I'm not familiar at all with yours... Does it load the bios when powered up? If it does, then press F2 and then set the BIOS defaults from inside. If it doesn't, then you must find a Dell tech manual, I'm afraid...

Thanks for that - I gave it a go, but no luck.

I've currently disassembled the thing as far as it will go, and I can't find anything that looks like a jumper/switch/anything at all that will change position. The manual is currently sitting in my old office which is 90 mins away and to which I don't have easy acess. Humph.

Guest jglen490
I've currently disassembled the thing as far as it will go, and I can't find anything that looks like a jumper/switch/anything at all that will change position. The manual is currently sitting in my old office which is 90 mins away and to which I don't have easy acess. Humph.

O.K., since you have done some disassembly, the CMOS battery itself (usually a CR2032 or 2016) which on a fairly modern laptop is removable. If you replace the battery, the settings should revert to defaults. Whatever (possibly corrupted) settings there are, should disappear.