Mounting HardDrive...

JungMin

I have 2 harddrive in my PC. One drive has linux, the other drive has windows on a ntfs partition, and a second FAT32 partition which works fine and isnt an issue in this topic.

I just converted the Windows partition from NTFS to FAT32 in Windows - No problems. Windows continued to work fine after a reboot.

But when i boot up linux, it cannot mount that partition - The one i just converted. I am not super familiar with linux yet (getting there though) - I looked around and I think that Mandrake (Mandriva 10.2) still sees it as a NTFS partition and when it trys to mount it, it obviously can't.

It still mounts the other FAT32 partition fine - it always has.

Does this make sense??? What do I have to do to mount the 'new' FAT32 partition i just converted from NTFS??

Thanks..

By the way converting NTFS to FAT32 was not a wise choice at all.

Regards.

Why not???

Dont really know the difference, except that I can't write to NTFS in Linux. I want to be able to write to that partition from linux. The partition that is/has been FAT32, I use all the time at a 'storage' partition that both windows and linux can write to.

Wanting write access to your system windows partition is equivalent to asking for BIG trouble. Still, if you DO wish writing there from Linux, then FAT32 is the easiest solution. There are also a couple of ways to write to NTFS partitions- one of them being slow and a bit troublesome, and the other one rather expensive.

FAT32 has filesize limitations though (biggest file in it with the default clustersize is 4 GB at most), FS security is nonexistent, and since there is no journaling record, chances to have a broken system after a failure are much bigger than with NTFS.

Why didn't you just use that second FAT32 partition (which isn't an issue of this topic) for write access from Linux? I'll repeat that writing to the system partition when the OS isn't running is definitely not a good idea!

Edited by scarecrow

I'll repeat that writing to the system partition when the OS isn't running is definitely not a good idea!

I understand now....

The other partition is full.....The system partition has 7gigs free. I tried to resize it, but I cant seem to - i think its to do with the bootable limit thing??

I think what I will do is just split that system partition, creating a new FAT32 partition with the free space.

Thanks.