Installed on wrong partition

Guest yodaky

Guest yodaky

I am an idiot. I installed Mandrake 10.1 yesterday after XP crashing. I reinstalled XP first and then decided to use the second hard drive to run Linux. I apparently chose the wrong HD to install Linux to because when using KDiskFree I see that everything aside from the CD drives are referenced as /dev/hdc* with a windows partition, /, and /home

My question is this. If I download the latest version of mandrake and attempt to reinstall can I just remove the previous Linux install from hdc and start fresh on hdd?

Thanx.

Guest yodaky
Are you going to run out of space with windows?

i am not going to run out of space. i have about 112gb "left" from the 128gn partition created on 200gb (which i am still tryin to understand why windows did that). i have a second hd installed that is completely unused right now because i installed to the wrong one. i originally wrote this because i just installed some updated and the / partition is 40% full ALREADY with the /home partition being .1% so if i can reinstall and kill the original partition i will configure the linux partitions manually instead of letting mandrake do it AND hopefully figure some way to take back some of that 80gb of unused space on the 200gb drive. (talk about a run on sentence)

any of that make sense?

Umm... your /root partition is 40% full already. And? It will not get filled with much more as the system is separated from personal files that are in /home. So you could just keep the system the way it is now and use the 80GB drive as a backup drive.

PS: If you update your system, do not forget to clean your urpmi cache from time to time. That will free up more space. ;)

Guest yodaky
Umm... your /root partition is 40% full already. And? It will not get filled with much more as the system is separated from personal files that are in /home. So you could just keep the system the way it is now and use the 80GB drive as a backup drive.

PS: If you update your system, do not forget to clean your urpmi cache from time to time.  That will free up more space. ;)

i just thought it was going to run out of room because i have about 600mb of security updates to download and my / partition was only created with like 5gb.

i just thought it was going to run out of room because i have about 600mb of security updates to download and my / partition was only created with like 5gb.

I never needed partitions bigger than 5GB for the /root filesystem, not with Mandriva, Fedora, SUSE, Slack or any other distro, so keep calm. :)

What you have to realise is that no matter how many megabytes the upgrade or update list shows, it rarely increases the real estate on your partition because most of that update or upgrade is going to REPLACE the existing packages.

There may be a modest 1 or 2 megabyte increase overall from time to time.

Cheers. John.

My question is this.  If I download the latest version of mandrake

and attempt to reinstall can I just remove the previous Linux install

from hdc and start fresh on hdd?

Pretty much anything you try to do to install one

OS over the top of another could/may/might leave

stragglers, loose bits here and there. As I reuse

my removable rack drives I use a bootable 1.44MB

Floppy (Win98) and www.killdisk.com. Run killdisk for

a few minutes on the drive and the first sectors are

wiped clean. Dependent up the size of your disk

and how fast it is totally wiping it clean can