PM question re Mandriva upgrade...

kristi

Putting this on the forum for all...

<snip>  regarding your question about using 10.1 vs 10.2 is there an easy way to upgrade? is it as simple as going to the software manager and updating everything or is it a tad more involved than that?

No, you cannot upgrade... What I do is to copy my user(s) stuff to another partition, and install the new release on top of it, formatting the / partition but not the /root partition.

Actually, that is slightly a lie - I have one /root partition, and two / partitions (and one swap partition). One of the / partitions has 2005LE on it. The other / partition (both about 6 gig) has a 2006 beta on it. To get the multiboot Linux requires that you "configure" the boot (near the end of the install). See thread:

http://forum.mandrivaclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=38738

RJ49's post near the end of this thread shows you how. I printed it off, and then did the install. It makes sense when you are doing it.

Then when I want to "upgrade" 2006 (try a different beta) I copy the user(s) stuff to another partition (to back it up), install, formatting the old 2006, and doing the boot configure near the end. Then I boot into the new 2006 and using a root konqueror (kedsu konqueror) I copy the user stuff from the other partition to the new user partition. I copy all the UN-hidden files/folders. The only HIDDEN files/folders I copy are .Azureus, .mozilla, and .thunderbird. You can hose your new release with the wrong residuals! When you do this copy back to the user, everything is permissioned "root". Do

execute each line individually
cd $HOME
su [i](enter root password)[/i]
cd ..      <---   MEANS ".."
find kristi -exec chown kristi.kristi '{}' ';'
find kristi -exec chmod go-rwx '{}' ';'

to get the permissions back to your user name (substitute your user name for kristi).

Be sure that you know the HD addy of the two / partitions and which is which - screwing that up in the configure boot area can yield a totally useless pile of hardware, though sometimes a restore (boot from CD and hit F1 and follow instructions) will get one of them back. You can then mickeymouse with /etc/lilo.conf to get the other one. Maybe.

In any case, copy your user stuff to another partition!

This really IS far easier than an XP install!!!!!

hth

Kristi

Edited by kristi

If you also format your drives with a seperate /home partition, it helps. Mandriva always give an option to leave the existing /home partition alone. No copying nedessary!

I actually started out doing it that way, but stopped when my .kde folders (and probably others) got messed up and wouldn't allow the system to start. But I guess I could just delete the hidden folders to assure compatability between releases, but that would negate bouncing between the two.....

Kristi

Yes, absolutely. Actually, if you want to play, simply rename the hidden file folder and then import the parts that won't break the fresh install. I have been able to save most of my setup that way. Some parts need to be created by the new install.

Aw, why can't it upgrade easily? :(