laptop keyboard

c-clone

Hi all,

I've just finished installing mdk 10.1 on my Acer TravelMate 240. The keyboard(in Linux) needs the Fn key the be pressed to get characters i, o, p and etc. On their own, these keys get numbers displayed on the screen. Anybody can help to reduce this inconvenient. I've tried looking into MCC - keyboard setting. Any ideas?

[moved from Talk-Talk by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Ah, that infamous hotkey issue of laptops...

Please have a look here.

I suggest (for convenience) getting the source RPM and build you binary under a root console by "rpm --rebuild acerhk*.src.rpm". After building is finished you can install the newly created RPM and hopefully have access to the laptop special keystrokes.

BTW just curious- I have an Acer Travelmate 291 LMi and I don't have to use Fn at all to get normal characters...

Edited by scarecrow

Scarecrow,

Looking thru the acerhk readme file causes an uncomfortable sensation to newbie like mmyself. Ie tried searching for the acerhk rpm will no success in SF and rpmfind(both .com and net). I will take more than a few days to look into the Tauber method. Hope can learn more things that way.

Thanks.