Mandriva install with 2 SATA HD

Guest zedsnotdead

Guest zedsnotdead

Hello all!

I need some help installing Mandriva. I just CAN'T install it!

Here´s the specs:

Mobo MSI KT6V (Via 8237 Controller)

1 SATA 200Gb Seagate (For XP) in channel 0

1 SATA 80Gb Seagate (reserved for Mandriva) in channel 1

1 DVD RW

1 CDRW

1 DVD-ROM

GeForce 6600GT

1024 Mb DDR400 Kingston

Logitech Cordless MX (Keyboard & Mouse, both USB)

And, here's the problem:

1- Boot with CD1, my keyboard and mouse works fine in the first menu, to choose graphical or text installation (F1 and such), but after that they stopped working. I can´t even choose language. So, went to BIOS settings, disabled the USB legacy support and booted again.

2- In this 2nd boot, when the first menu appears (the one to choose graphical or text installation) my keyboard&mouse didn't work. I waited for some seconds so it starts the graphical installation automatically (since i couldn't go for the text installation, keyboard/mouse didn't work)

3- I think this time Mandriva installer recognized the USB keyboard and mouse, because they responded in the next menu, to choose the language. So i did it.

4- Then, it scans for the hd, it recognizes the VT8237 controller but it fails to load any drivers! I can't go any further!

5- I searched the web and found out i had to disable the controller in BIOS settings, so i did it. But still i can't go any further. It gives me a list of the drivers that it should search for, i indicated the sata_via one, but nothing...

6- I read in some places i should try to start with text insttalation (typing noapic and such...), but then i couldn't choose/type anything because in the next menu my keyboard and mouse stops working both. I tried it (enabling the legacy support again) and that's what happened, worked in this menu, but then it stops in the language menu.

Im a newbie in linux, wanting to forget M$ exists, and im stuck!

What can i do??? Please help! :unsure:

Have you partitioned the drive on wich you want to install Mandriva? If not try it.

USB keyboard: try unplug-replug.

Personal experience: I have an asus a8v deluxe with 2 sata drives on the via controller. I could install Mandriva only after partitioning.

It depends... I have in my main system 2 SATA HD's and one IDE HD- the SATA controller is an ordinary, no RAID one (ata_piix).

When installing a few distros (including my favorite Arch Linux) I have to disconnect the IDE HD before installing, and reconnect it right after the OS is up and running. But I did not have to do it with the last Mandriva Cooker version I tried (some one month ago).

Edited by scarecrow

to get the install to work with my SATA drive on the infamous VT8237 the "linux noapic" command fixed me. My installation was stopping at same point. But if you are then losing mouse/keyboard because of this setting, then am a bit stumped.

:unsure:

to get the install to work with my SATA drive on the infamous VT8237 the "linux noapic" command fixed me. My installation was stopping at same point. But if you are then losing mouse/keyboard because of this setting, then am a bit stumped.

:unsure:

You can still use temporarily a PS/2 keyboard, and install Mandriva in text mode. Unfortunately, the Mandy text installer has ATM a few quirks, e.g you cannot jump into some of the menus by using tab/alt-tab on your keyboard.

The issues created by this can be fixed post-install.

Guest zedsnotdead
You can still use temporarily a PS/2 keyboard, and install Mandriva in text mode. Unfortunately, the Mandy text installer has ATM a few quirks, e.g you cannot jump into some of the menus by using tab/alt-tab on your keyboard.

The issues created by this can be fixed post-install.

The problem is that i have to fix a ps2 mouse/keyboard somewhere... i can do it but isn't it odd that i can't use my usb keyb/mouse?

And again, if i turn off the legacy usb support i can't type the "noapic" option, in either text or graphical interface. They just start working AFTER this menu, when it reaches the language manu (as i said, probably because just then the usb is recognized by the installer...)

About partitioning the hd first: how can i do it if the sata controller doesn't load? i'm stuck there!