Can't connect to the Internet

Guest Teppen

Guest Teppen

Hi all,

I am a new Linux user. I have just installed Mandriva 10.2, but for some reason I can't connect to the Internet, neither with Konqueror nor with Mozilla. It says something like "www.webiste.xxx not found".

It works fine with Windows XP (I have partitioned my HD to install Linux).

I am using a Buffalo router. My Ethernet card seem to be detected by HardRake. So I really don't know what's the problem.

:help:

Moved to Networking by theYinYeti. Welcome aboard!

how did you setup the network or internet? when creating a new connection via MCC - network and internet, it should be LAN connection... and don't forget your DNS IP Address... if you can open the konsole, try to $/sbin/ifconfig ...it will display the IP add of your ethx, just to check if it has been assigned with an IP add. try also to ping your router if you can

edit: here's a similar problem to yours, check it out.. https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=27433&hl=

Edited by aioshin

open a terminal, log in as root and type

echo "alias net-pf-10 off" >> /etc/modeprobe.conf

echo "alias Ipv6 off"" >> /etc/modprobe.conf

or add some dns servers from your isp to your /etc/resolv.conf and hard lock the file aftwerwards, e.g.

adding nameservers:

echo "nameserver 217.237.150.225" >> /etc/resolv.conf

locking the file:

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

this can be done with an editor like kate by root, too if you are too scared of using a terminal alone. in this case, you only need to add the stuff between " ".

final thing: open firefox, type "about:config" in the browserbar. now type ipv in the searchbar below. double click on "disable ipv6 →false" and set it to "true"

hope that helps

Hi!

I don't have a solution. I only wanted to give a word of warning about the "chattr +i" thing.

I tried this at home, and almost lost my partition. Something conflicted on the subsequent halt of the PC (msec IMHO), and a line like that was displayed (IIRC):

mv: unable to write to /etc/resolv.conf: Should the 644 mode be overridden?

This is not a problem in itself. The problem is that the halt process halted at this point, where neither of Y, N, Enter, Ctrl+C, Alt+SysRq+E, Alt+SysRq+I, Ctrl+Z, or Ctrl+D did anything to let the halt process go on, and other virtual consoles did not permit login anymore, and sshd was not responding to my remote ssh requests anymore!

In short, the only way for me to halt the PC was Alt+SysRq+S,E,I,S,O.

And upon reboot, ext3.fsck failed the first time, causing a reboot! Next reboot went OK, thankfully.

Yves.

I don't have a solution. I only wanted to give a word of warning about the "chattr +i" thing.

oh. i and others did that dozens of times and i have never heard something like that. really, first time that i hear such a story. but good to know that it CAN happen (and how to fix it btw). thanks for sharing the information. :)

Guest Teppen
how did you setup the network or internet? when creating a new connection via MCC - network and internet, it should be LAN connection... and don't forget your DNS IP Address...

I couldn't find any option for LAN in MCC.

if you can open the konsole, try to $/sbin/ifconfig ...it will display the IP add of your ethx, just to check if it has been assigned with an IP add. try also to ping your router if you can

I typed $/sbin/ifconfig but the IP address shown (137.000.01 or the like) is not the same as my PC's IP address (192.168.11.2). How can I edit this ?

Guest Teppen
open a terminal, log in as root and type

echo "alias net-pf-10 off" >> /etc/modeprobe.conf

echo "alias Ipv6 off"" >> /etc/modprobe.conf

or add some dns servers from your isp to your /etc/resolv.conf and hard lock the file aftwerwards, e.g.

adding nameservers:

echo "nameserver 217.237.150.225" >> /etc/resolv.conf

I typed that but it didn't work. Do I need to type the "" and the >> as well ?

this can be done with an editor like kate by root, too if you are too scared of using a terminal alone. in this case, you only need to add the stuff between " ".

Which file should I edit ? Won't there be permission problem to save the file from Kate ? Sorry, I have never used Linux before, I really have no idea.

final thing: open firefox, type "about:config" in the browserbar. now type ipv in the searchbar below. double click on "disable ipv6 →false" and set it to "true"

I have done that, but no change so far.

oh. maybe i was one step too fast. first try setting up a new network connection with the wizard in the mcc. go to "network and internet" → create new network connection (LAN, ISDN, ADSL). at the first selction screen, select LAN instead of ADSL and follow the configuration till the end. then use the connect tool in your taskbar to create a connection to the internet. if that does not work, we need some information, but we will discuss that later. and ignore my previous post. it will only confuse you at the moment. we will concentrate on it again IF we really need to do the above steps. okay?

good luck :)