KMail

AussieJohn

I have updated all downloads in relation to kde3.4.2, including Kmail. I have found since updating kmail, that every time I open kmail now, I repeatedly get the intro message, which in the past only showed when you executed kmail for the first time. Does anyone know how to get rid of this little pest and save me having to constantly delete it.

I have gone right through the kmail setting up to see if there is some setting for it but cannot see one.

Cheers. John.

I don´t think it has anything to do with permissions.

I can still send and receive emails and all my various detailed settings appear to be unchanged. It is NOT an error message I am getting, it is the Welcome one shown in the attachment below and is repeatedly dumped in the inbox ->current no matter how many times it is deleted. You can see that it has not come from outside (the net) because it is shown with no email message icon as all the other real emails have. If I leave it in then when I reopen kmail again it does not insert another copy so something in Mandriva is shoving it in from somewhere in mandriva.

It is not a real problem, just damned annoying.

Cheers. John.

It could be a bug. It is the latest update from Mandriva......

* Wed Aug 03 2005 Torbjorn Turpeinen <tobbe@nyvalls.se> 3.4.2-9.mdk10.2.mde

- Sync SVN

- New name (Mandriva Enhanced - med, Thac & Zé)

Hopefully it will be fixedsoon.

Cheers. John.

Yes that is the one. It doesn´t download from the web though. Either Mandriva or KDE generates it and shoves it out.. Never had this problem before installing the recent up dates of a number of days ago.

Ah well !!!

Cheers. John.

Although I am now running right up to date with 2006 as now released yesterday, it still seems to have the same problem.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it unique to my setup ???.

I may have to try uninstalling and reinstalling kmail but I know that is going to be messy.

Comments or suggestions please.

Cheers. John.

Although I am now running right up to date with 2006 as now released yesterday...

Hello again, John.

In the next couple weeks, I'm thinking of installing 2006 now that beta 2 is out.

Once it's installed, what do you use for updates - the cooker repositories or the 2006.0 ones?

Thanks.

Hello jboy.

I'll be using the 2006.0 updates. Although I have heard very good results for cooker, it must be remembered that this is the work in progress area and can get a little messy trying to resolve a problem that may still be in there especially if you are not a programmer, which I am not.

Since I have two setups of Mandriva, I use one as my stable and prime OS using only the Official Edition versions and updates. The other one i use for experimenting and generally trying things out and I am now constantly upgrading, even using Cooker, and so far I have been lucky in not having any serious problems. I think this says a lot about quality of the excellent work being done by all our friends in Cooker.

If you have only one Mandriva OS then I recommend staying with the Official Editions and just updating, not upgrading until the next Official Edition is released.

Cheers. John.

Thanks, John. OK, I see, Cooker will be the most cutting-edge and 2006.0 will be more stable (and probably updated from Cooker as packages are tested out).

I'll defintely be taking your suggestion. I'll be leaving a LE2005 install (and a 10.1 as well on an older machine) but trying out 2006 Beta 2 on partitions where I've got something else installed right now.