Synchronising KPPP application with the network

twn_onizuka

Hi guys, just managed to get online with mandriva, the problem now lies with my network monitor on the bottom of the screen.

For some reason its main focus is on my /dev/eth0 rather than my connection on /dev/sstyl0. The tabbed graph is based on my etho (lan) rather than my dial up ....Is there a way i change this?

Also, when i click connect on the network monitor, it wont connect....it keeps sending dud pakcets through my eth0 rather than my sstyl0; how i can i rectify this?

I know that i have setup the connection properly because i can get online through mandriva no problems, however everytime i have to run a network setup through drakconf...

[this post merged into the thread by spinynorman - seems to be the same topic]

Hi another one of my n00b questions....

Ive managed to my rig online through the network monitor, however when i refer to kPPP application, it does not seem to be connected...However if i connect through kPPP, i am unable to surf and websites; mozilla just says it cant search *and yeah...im onlien cause the corresponding connecting lights are on*, do both these work independent of each other? IS there a way to synchronize them so they so the same info, all connection and allow both control.

thankls

Moved to Networking by theYinYeti

I'm not sure I understand your question, but this is what it sounds like to me based on your description.

If you're connected, but you can't surf, that sounds like it could be a DNS problem. In kppp, do you have auto or manual DNS configured? Check with your ISP to make sure you know what their nameserver IP addresses are, then from a terminal (console), enter: cat /etc/resolv.conf

If you don't see those addresses, then:

1. If you have DNS auto-configured in kppp, change to manual and enter the DNS IP addresses.

2. If you have DNS manually configured, check if you have input the right IP addresses.

If this does not address what you were asking, please elaborate further.

Yeah i have auto DNS switched on in the kPPP;

currently i am online...after connecting through network monitor; however when i check my kPPP connection it says that i am offline...the stats in network monitor dont work...they contiune to focus on my eth0...

However when i connect to the net through kPPP, the network monitor doesnt register. Also, when i try to access yahoo...i cant ...

Well, it sounds like you have properly configured your network interface and internet settings through the Mandrake Control Center, but somehow your kppp is misconfigured.

Have you gone back into MCC and checked your configuration against how kppp is configured? You have a successful configuation through MCC so that's the model.

After reconfiguring kppp, and just before you dialup with kppp, open a terminal, become the root user (su root), and issue this command:

tail -f /var/log/messages

Then connect with kppp. That terminal screen will then show you various messages regarding the connection - it should show messages like the ppp0 interface, the tty device, an authentication message (PAP, CHAP, etc), the IP address your ISP has assigned you, and also show the DNS server IP addresses. If you're not seeing these messages, or if you are seeing error messages, that's a clear sign that your kppp configuration is bad.

To stop watching the terminal messages, press CTRL-C (the CTRL key first, then the C key) and this will take you back to the command line.

Ive watched the log of the file,i have an ip and DNS assigned; however the network monitor registers as not connected.

I was wondering in theory if you connect with either one of these connections; is the corresponding network monitor or kPPP, suppose to register??

And for some reason, my network monitor does not have a graph tab for my ppp0 or sstyl0 connection, it only has a eth0 graph...is there a way i can enable a tab or replace it; because i have shut off my lan until i comfortable with mandriva...

I was wondering in theory if you connect with either one of these connections; is the corresponding network monitor or kPPP, suppose to register??

I don't know. Anybody else?

I do know this. I have a broadband connection but occasionally I dialup to a different provider. When I do that, I need to clear my default gateway with the 'route del default' command so that a new default route can be established automatically once I connect via dialup. I also take down eth0 with ifdown. After connecting, if I pass the mouse cursor over the network monitor, it says ppp0, not eth0. But I don't get any graph for ppp0. So I don't know if network monitor is supposed to work with kppp. From what I see, it doesn't.

However, kppp does have it own throughput graph so why not use that?

And let's be sure of this regarding your setup - when you use kppp, are you dialing the same ISP as you do when you connect using network monitor? If not, that could be your kppp problem - maybe you've got an existing default route that needs to be cleared first. You can check with the /sbin/route command.

EDIT: I corrected 'route -del default' to 'route del default' (no minus sign)

Edited by jboy