HP Compaq NX6110 - how to set up the i915 graphics

mikewho

I've got a HP Compaq NX6110 laptop. It has an Intel 915 chipset inside.

I can't get the graphic card working - I use the vesa driver. But there is no 3D at all and there are lots of problems with playing movies. Problems like: picture is too slow and sometimes player hangs (kaffeine).

I tried the i815 module, I heard it is compatible in some ways. It's not working.

I have updated the ldetect package. In one of the newer versions that this on the Mandriva 2005LE sources it has been updated to detect my card - still "no go".

EDIT:

Forgot to copy the error message:

(EE) Failed to load module "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a" (once-only module, 136033803)

(WW) I810: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found

If there are other messages needed please tell me so.

Please help

MikeL

System specs:

HP Compaq NX6110

iCel-M 1400 1024kB Cache

750 MB RAM

40GB HDD

Toshiba Combo

*-pci
         description: Host bridge
         product: Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller
         vendor: Intel Corporation
         physical id: 100
         bus info: pci@00:00.0
         version: 03
         width: 32 bits
         clock: 33MHz
       *-display:0
            description: VGA compatible controller
            product: Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller
            physical id: 2
            bus info: pci@00:02.0
            logical name: /dev/fb0
            size: 256MB
            capabilities: vga bus_master cap_list fb
            configuration: depth=16 frequency=75.12Hz mode=800x600 visual=truecolor xres=800 yres=600
            resources: iomemory:d0400000-d047ffff ioport:7000-7007 iomemory:c0000000-cfffffff iomemory:d0480000-d04bffff irq:11
       *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
            description: Display controller
            product: Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller
            physical id: 2.1
            bus info: pci@00:02.1
            size: 512KB
            capabilities: bus_master cap_list
            resources: iomemory:d0500000-d057ffff

Edited by mikewho

not even a bit close - this is flustrating.

i was told by one of the mandriva users that it is because mdv team patch kernel too much.

every thing about this problem i found on the net is "it doesn't work" or "vesa does work", but let's be serious - vesa is no good! my laptop came with winxphe, so i can see what this card can do. for me it's something about radeon 9200. for a business laptop is quite good result.

please, please help

mikel

Intel has a Linux driver for their graphics cards. Check this link for i915mobile card: http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df...39&submit=Go%21

Install the RPM from the console - just follow the instructions in the README.txt (don't forget to logout from X first). Then run XFdrake and configure your card - I used i810 driver for 865G-something card. X should now start with no problem.

If you do

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf |grep Driver

What driver shows up for your graphics card? It'll probably be the entry right after:

Driver  "vga"

You might be using a driver for this card that doesn't support 3d.

Sorry if I'm repeating something you've done already, just trying to help ;)

You need to use Google and find out which driver is best to use for this card. There will probably be an inherent Xorg driver that will take care of it and I doubt you will have to use the seperate Intel driver. We just need to get X pointing the correct driver.

Guest Riotboy80

Hi,

I using mandriva 2005 on nx6110, the video work good with VESA driver but sometimes i must restart X server. This mean is not working so good, but i have another problem to fix: my pc don't want shoutdown, i must switch off manually all the time.

Someone can help me pliss?

Thanks to all.

:D

Hi,

I am sorry to say that I don't have a solution for you. However, I have exactly the same problem on my new HP/Compaq nc4200 laptop with intel 915 integrated video. I have been googling and playing with configuration files all day with no success. I will certainly let you know if I find something and will be checking back here in case you do!

Cheers,

Dugan.

i tried the google way on this few times since i got my nx6110, but everything about this problem i have found on the net is "it doesn't work" or "vesa does work"

(i said that in my prev. post - please, read carefully)

i've been using the vesa driver on my laptop for 3.5 months - but it gets sometimes very (...) hard to use it this way.

// (...) = uncomfortable ;)

and this problem of mine is regarding a hp compaq nx6110 laptop, not any other desktop or notebook. i know the 915 driver does work, but it does not work the the nx6110

i've just got the mdv06b2 downloaded - i will try it, i'll post my results here

Edited by mikewho

• 2 weeks later...

i have installed the mandriva linux 2006 beta3 - the i915 is selected and the card seems to work, but... opengl doesn't display any picture while in 3d mode (only cursor). ill look at it later - i've just finished setting software up. maybe it's just about some rpm to be installed.

the kaffeine problem seems to be away, and the motion picture display have been improved compering to the vesa driver.

almoust happy :)

mikel

Edited by mikewho