2006 0.1.3 beta problems (re-solved)

kristi

I have installed it about 8 times, downloaded it twice, burned it to CDs twice.

1) I get NO KDE. never. Ever. regardless of whether I choose KDE OR KDE & Gnome OR all GUIs, or check the individual program selections.

2) at boot, at command prompt, I get

cat: /var/run/console.lock No such file or directory
This repeats every few seconds. It makes it VERY difficult to edit inittab and xorg.conf .

3) In the install, I am unable to configure the mouse - I click on configure but nothing happens. (PS2 Logitech Mouseman) xorg.conf has it as a PS2/MS Explorer which is normal. Mouse works fine in Gnome.

Any ideas on these 3?

tia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kristi

Edited by kristi

kristi, I use ftp.nluug.nl for all my downloads because they never have thru-put issues and always mirror up quickly, even if they are not listed. I get better service from there than I do from servers in Illinois or Indiana!! Go figure.

I am loading the beta now. Maybe I can help.

Rolf asked a question and I found that none of the KDE base stull had been installed.

I installed it.

I can now choose KDE at the logon menu.

Thanks Rolf!!!!!!!!!

==> solved - 0.1.3 install fails to install KDE base modules. Under what conditions is unknown. Fixed by booting to Gnome and using MCC install to install them.

EDIT: see my post 6 posts down from this post in this thread - lisa has to be allowed in install.

Kristi

Edited by kristi

kristi, I use ftp.nluug.nl for all my downloads because they never have thru-put issues and always mirror up quickly, even if they are not listed. I get better service from there than I do from servers in Illinois or Indiana!! Go figure.

I am loading the beta now. Maybe I can help.

Can you tell me where in ftp.nluug.nl I would find the betas - missed it!

Thanks.

I wonder, though about d/l probs as the md5 check sum matched perfectly both times.

Kristi

I installed the beta, no issues with kde. Might be fixed already, although it has the same number as the one you used.

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/distr/Linux/Man...so/2006.0/i586/

I found it at ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...so/2006.0/i586/ which is a little different from what you gave me.

The md5sum file is the same as the one I used, so I think it is safe to say that the iso's are identical - must be something else. I found that it was simply not installing the KDEbase stuff - once I did that, I was offered KDE in the login menu.

So I am guessing that you are selecting different things than I am. I think the only additional thing I am selecting on the left is "network client". I check nothing for servers, and I check KDE and Gnome. I also tell it not to use "lisa" since I think that is only for remote security or some such - NETBIOS.

Wondering what you select...

tia!!!

Kristi

I did a default install, only selecting "network client". But, I do allow lisa to run. When I used to compile kde, it required lisa as a depend.

I did a default install, only selecting "network client". But, I do allow lisa to run. When I used to compile kde, it required lisa as a depend.

:banana::banana::banana:

Allowing Lisa did the trick!!!!! Now I wonder why that would be needed during install?

THANKS!!!

Kristi

==> solved - 0.1.3 install fails to install KDE base modules if lisa is not allowed in install. Heads up dev team!

Also clock date and time format does not work.

Edited by kristi