Login Problems [solved]

Pix

Hi (first post here so please be nice!)

I recently had the bright idea of upgrading my machine from Mandrake 10 to Mandriva LE.

Installation seemed to go okay, until I tried to login. My problem is as follows:

If I try to log on as a normal user, it loops back to the login page. Tried it for all users and the same happens every time. Wondered if it was an incorrect password, but I try that it tells me I've got a wrong password.

Wondered if it was GUI problem, so I tried to login via the command line. Still got the same problem though :/

The only way I can login is if I'm root (I know I shouldn't do that, but I wanted to try anyway). It's a bit slow to do it, but it gets there in the end.

Not sure why this is the case :/

Only errors it tells me about are an ATD I/O problem, and and couple of whinges about some pngs missing in Gnome.

I don't want to create a new user as I want to use my existing accounts.

Any help would be much appreciated :) Thanks :)

BTW: I am still very much a beginner with Linux, so please bear with me if I ask you to explain things in more detail for me :)

What specifically happened at the command line? If root can login, make sure your user still has a /home directory. If it is a password problem, have root change the password for your user.

If you did an upgrade, I am going to assume that you left your /home folder intact. If that is the case, then there are settings in that folder that may be at odds with the new installation. Do this. Login at the command line as your regular user. If you can do that, then the install is fine, just a gui issue. Type "mc" at the command line and you will have a gui-type of file manager called Midnight Commander. Navigate to /home/yourusername, and look for a file that starts with a dot. If you use gnome, then it will look like this: ./gnome or kde will look like this: ./kde These are hidden files. Rename your hidden file to ./gnome.bak or ./kde.bak and then exit. Now, when you launch the gui, it will recreate these files with the correct settings. Try it.

If I try to login at the command line as anything other than root, it just hangs. Nothing happens at all.

I tried to change my regular user passwords when I was root. The password was changed successfully, but I still had the same old problem when I tried to login as a normal user (it just looped back the login screen again)

Will check the /home folder and rename ./gnome to ./gnome.bak and let you know how it goes :)

Thanks for your help :)

in case renaming still causes trouble, create a new user and check if that new user account will create the same problems. but most probably it is simply some old config files that cause trouble.

Guest ed4qi

Hi I have a similar problem. Same upgrade.

My computer boots to the GUI login. When I enter my password, it just sits there with the hourglass forever.

If I boot to failsafe and enter init 5 at the command line, it goes to the GUI login, and I can log in just fine.

Any suggestions?

Do what I suggest in my post above. Configuration files seem to create these symptoms. Once you are successfully in, you can then systematically start copying the folders in the hidden directory until you find the culprit, if you want.

I logged in as root, renamed .gnome, and then tried to login as a normal user again. Unfortunately I'm still getting the same problem :(

Also added a new user, and tried to login, but I got an error msg along the lines of saying that a gnome process had failed and therefore the session had to be ended :(

As far as I'm aware I don't have KDE on my system. When I originally installed Mandrake I selected gnome only I think.

it seems as if a package you need didn't get updated or something like that. boot into your system in failsafe mode again and run "urmpi --auto-select" from the command line. this will show you if there is still a gtk-library / application that didn't get updated.

Just found this online:

"Turns out for some reason the Mandriva LE 2005 DVD that came with Linux Pro Magazine Issue #55 did not completely install the components for Gnome (even if you selected it as your only desktop during install).

In this months issue (#56), the magazine recommended 4 packages be installed. I'm not positive if it is against forum rules to post links to actual files on the boards so I will only list their names and you can most likely find the rpms from your favorite Mandriva repository or pick up the magazine yourself and look in the "Letters" section..

libpanel-applet-2_0-2.8.3-6

gnome-applets-2.8.1-2

gnome-utils-2.8.1-2

gnome-panel-2.8.3-6"

As I used the CDs that came with the magazine, I think installing the above packages might solve my problem :)

Don't update with gnome, update with Mandriva. That is, unless you have already installed a custom version, in which case you may need to update whatever you did.