RPM's structure

So I want to install this programs from scratch, before I used to do mostly everything by urpmi. But sooner or later I need to learn how to get to the next level. So I went to get one package, and the did the

tar -xzvf blah.tar.gz;cd blah/;../configure

To my surprise I got a message saying that it couldn't find GTK, I was like what??? I use gnome and I am pretty sure I need to have GTK. I ask around and someone told me about the devel packages. So I guess I don't understand what is the devel and the regular packages, usually I thought devel packages was some added features and I think I am wrong. Can someone explain me what I need to learn about mandriva?

Also most of the CD1 have very few devels, does that means this is a similar style to the SuSE which doesn't allow you to compile???

:help:

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

devel packages is when you have to compile some stuff.

I'm not on mandriva system so I can't remember the exact name, but try to find libgtk devel version 2.x.x and 1.x.x

Most of the devel packages can be downloaded via urmpi: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?act=announce&f=22&id=3

When you write a program, you write the actual code and then compile that code into a binary/exectable. For our purpose here, understand that the regular RPM is just that binary.

When you compile a program, and it depends on something from another program, you need the actual code - not just the binaries - to compile it. That's why you need the devel packages, because they contain the actual code that needs to be compiled into the program :)

Just set up your extra urpmi sources using the easy-urpmi link at the top of the page, this will help you find the devel packages.

What package are you trying to compile? perhaps there's already an RPM for it, try searching after you set up urpmi, and also look at rpm.pbone.net and rpmfind.net

So how does the source from devel compared with the source of the SRPM or .src.rpm ?

Just a few lines in a few files and whatever else mandriva has done to the pkg for their distro, if anything.

Also when using tarballs on an rpm based sys, use --prefix= with ./configure

./configure --prefix=/usr

because the default install location is diff with tarballs