URL link to passworded site...

nchancock

OK, so this is just a musing. My school recently went "paperless" (a REAL pain in the *** for taking notes) and have put everything on a Desire2Learn system. This system is highly reminiscient of WebCT.

Anyway, to access and of the class notes or lecture slides, you have to go to d2l page and login and then click around for a while and such. This gets to be rather tedious after a while. So, I was thinking that if I could somehow construct a URL link on my desktop that when clicked would automatically take me to the site and log me in, that would be oh so very much more convenient.

I imagine this will entail figuring out how the browser requests a login authentication from the d2l server and then scripting my own URL in the form of http://d2l.serverwhatever.edu/dologin.asp?...R&password=PASS

but I haven't the foggiest notion of how to find out what that should be.

Any web-savvy souls out there have any ideas?

TIA, nate

Moved to Networking by theYinYeti (to be honnest, I wondered if it belonged to Networking or Security...)

Hi nate,

I'm not a web-savvy soul in the slightest, but this might depend on how the school (or the tech-heads behind the site) want you to access the D2L site. I know the version that my uni uses requires you to log in every time, which is a right pain in the proverbial, so I sympathise. I'd suggest asking your IT guy at school and seeing what they say - I'd imagine that you aren't the only one frustrated at this problem!

FWIW, I personally wouldn't be too happy about sending a URL that had my username and password in it, but then there might not be much in the way of sensitive documents in the D2L system (unless the Geography curriculum has changed a whole lot since I went through school :jester: )

HTHAL

Alex

Good idea, I'm still trying to figure out how the page sends out its login request.

I have looked at the page source, but that functionality seems to be embedded in a java script. Is there a way to capture URL requests from the browser (Firefox)? I think this might be the easiest way...

Nate