I suck at Linux, please help

Guest Lagwagon

Guest Lagwagon

First I'd like to apoligize for my lack of knowledge, I'm sure the solution to this question is simple. I just installed and have been playing with Linux for 2 days. I didn't want to contribute to flooding a board, but I couldn't seem to find the solution myself. Ok here goes.

I'm trying to install Moodin, when I ./configure I got this message after a while:

checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!

So I tried to find a fix for that, and tried this:

./configure --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib

And now I get by the "checking for X" thing but I get this error:

checking for libXext... no

configure: error: We need a working libXext to proceed. Since configure

can't find it itself, we stop here assuming that make wouldn't find

them either.

So I went looking for a work around, but haven't found it after an exhausting search. Any suggestions or help would be terrific, Thanks

Matt

PS: If you have any suggestions, like a book to read or whatever to help me learn Linux, it would be appreciated. I don't know anybody who has ever used it. Yes I'm a n00b

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

I only find the rpm's listed for SuSE. Sometimes packages are distro specific, with a different package for different distros. What is "Moodin"?

The command is: ./configure --prefix=/usr (with the prefix you tell make where KDE is installed. In Mandriva it's in /usr) , then type: make then login as root and type: make install

The error means you have to install the libxorg-devel packages. Search the board for devel for more information.

Apollon and gift are in PLF. Add the repositories (read the faqs for urpmi on this board) and install with urpmi apollon.