setting up ICS

Guest MajinNitz

Guest MajinNitz

I am sure this is a redundant question, but i got my 56k modem configured properly and my NIC too. Now i went through the Connection Sharing Wizard and i think this is the problem, my gateway does not know that it is the gateway. In the gateway space i entered its own ip 192.168.1.1 and this machine also runs dhcpd. My windows machine gets an ip but cannot connect to internet or outside network. The gateway computer can access outide network fine. Did i configure improperlY? Thanks in advance.

I had this problem when I tried to set up ICS. If you can surf by IP, then this is probably the problem. I had to add the DNS servers in /etc/dhcpd.conf. I had read that if you didn't have the DNS servers in dhcpd.conf, that it would read /etc/hosts, but apparently, that does not work for Windows machines. This is what my line looks like:

option domain-name-servers 205.171.3.65, 205.171.24.251;

These IPs are for my ISPs DNS servers, so yours will be different, of course.

You can put that in the global section.

Guest MajinNitz

holy cow man, thanks for the speeeeeeeeedy reply. I had set the dhcpd.conf and host file before but i didnt check them after the wizard. Thank you very much I will return if i have a further problem.

oh wait, your 2nd post is the hosts file and 1st post is dhcpd.conf, right?

also, do I include that "option" at the begining of the line?

Oops. In my first post, I meant it is supposed to read /etc/resolv.conf, but you won't be editing that at all or /etc/hosts.

Also, if you don't know what to put here for IPs:

option domain-name-servers 205.171.3.65, 205.171.24.251;

in /etc/dhcpd.conf. Then, while you are online in your Linux box, look in /etc/resolv.conf and use whatever IPs are there for nameservers. Note that in the dhcpd.conf file, it is domain-name-servers instead of just nameservers.

Guest MajinNitz

Ok THat makes sense to me, Im off to try it.

I would also note if people use this in the future making the transition from windows ICS, once connected to your ISP the command

ipconfig /all

will revel dns ip's.

I think i was confused about why windows dhcpd gateway for ICS defaults to 192.168.0.1 and mandrake was to 192.169.1.1 but i guess its not a big deal.

Guest MajinNitz

AAAARRRRGGGG

I used the Mandrake wizard again , I was totally confident in my settings and the dhcpd.conf file.

Now my modem doesnt work anymore. I tried using the KPP dialer that used to work and now it says it cannot find /dev/modem. I went through all this before and had to email US Robotics tech support and now i gotta reconfigure that. damn

Heres my question, in that mandrake wizard I configured the NIC (lan eth0 192.168.1.1) and my modem (wan set as dhcp client) - I tell it to make internet connection with the modem - the strange thing is, when configureing the NIC, it demands a gateway and a dns, I though the dns would be handled by the modem? Anyways this machine is supposed to be the gateway so at first i set it to 192.168.1.1 and then 127.0.0.1. I think this is where my problem is . Please help before I throw this thing through the window. :cry:

If it's the gateway, you should set it to 192.168.1.1 and make sure the NIC on your Windows box has it's gateway set to 192.168.1.1 also. You can tell your NIC on your Linux box whatever your ISPs DNS servers are if it insists, I guess, but I always set mine up manually instead of with the wizards.

This is my /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0 file:

DEVICE="eth0"

#BOOTPROTO="bootp"

IPADDR="192.168.0.1"

NETMASK="255.255.255.0"

NETWORK=192.168.0.0

BROADCAST=192.168.0.255

ONBOOT="yes"

So yours would be:

DEVICE="eth0"

#BOOTPROTO="bootp"

IPADDR="192.168.1.1"

NETMASK="255.255.255.0"

NETWORK=192.168.1.0

BROADCAST=192.168.1.255

ONBOOT="yes"

You may need bootprot, but I don't even know what it's for and it didn't work when mine wasn't commented out.

I also read somewhere that sometimes you may have to do this in a shell after eth0 is up

route add -host 255.255.255.255 eth0

Because some Windows boxes are picky about it. You can add that line to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local script if it works.

Guest MajinNitz

Well i got it working if anyone wants to know how:

It was totally f'd up. I reinstalled, and this time, make sure your ppp0 modem and eth0 are up and running (type ifconfig) BEFORE running that god forseaken networking wizard. After that goodluck. Now i got a new problem, SSH worked fine but we set up a basic firewall and i can only ssh from the local machine, anyone know the line to fix this in iptables, i cant even find iptables.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MajinNitz

GOOD NEWS / BAD NEWS

My gateway/firewall work. I got 2 other Windows XP machines, trying to do a static LAN ip for both. I configured both the same way, mine is fine, under network connections I have:

1394 Connection Netadapter enabled]

Local Area Connection enabled

Network Bridge

It works on a static ip 192.168.1.30 FINE all the time.

My dads, however, whhich i configured the same way for 192.168.1.40

same subnet and everything only lists:

Local Area Connection

but ipconfig usually shows an ip of 192.168.1.251 or somthing

AND sometimes his will work when mine is off.

AND when i try to ssh to fix stuff, i often get connected and then almost immediatly connection refused?? its like ssh is shutting down if the ppp0 connection goes down?

Any help is appreciated :)