what username and password?

sallam

Greetings

I just installed mandriva linux LE2005 dowload.

During installation i didn't choose an admin password, and i didn't create a user either.

It accepted that. I was glad, because I didn't want to type such info everytime I start linux.

But now, everytime i start linux, it asks me, in a box titled 'welcome to localhost', to type a username and a password..!!!

I'm trapped here...what do I do?

how can i know that info if i didnt give it during installation?

many thanks in advance..

well, if you noticed, during lilo or grub loads, you can choose which kernel you want to load, try to choose the failsafe, after booting to failsafe, it will log you directly as root, there u can try to add a user. #adduser john (ex. only as adding user john) after you enter, try to #passwd john (this will assign a password gor john, then after doing it, reboot)

then boot to the normal, default kernel and when ask with username and passwd, use the one that you'd just added.... hope this helps

Edited by aioshin

The way to bypass the logon screen is using autologon (manageable via Mandrake Control Center). By not creating a user you can only be root (you can just type "root" and nothing as password at the logon screen), but running X as root (AND with no pasword!) is a big security risk (XP- like!).

Do what Aioshin suggested, and then use autologon for a plain user. Much more sane than what you've done.

thanks aioshin and scarecrow for your help. I'll try what you said. Hopefully i can figure out what you mean aioshin : where do i type what you mentioned? sorry i'm completely new to linux.

Much more sane than what you've done.

ok, if i'm insane, what do you call mandriva linux, which allowed me to skip the create user step, without any warnings? I'm not to be blamed , am a complete newbie.. it made me assume that its ok to proceed without creating one. It should stop there and force people to create one. Loads of newbies install linux for the first time and they must be taken into consideration.

Following aioshin's advice, when you boot to failsafe you will get a prompt. It is a #. You then can add yourself as a user as follows:

#useradd -m yourname (the -m option will create a home directory for you)

#passwd yourname (you will be prompted to enter and confirm the password)

#passwd root (same as above)

You really need to have a password for root, just as important as flossing and brushing your teeth.

Then you can reboot via the reboot command and login as yourself. If you haven't set things up for a graphical login, which I assume) after your login you will get a $ prompt (signifies a regular non-root user). Then you can enter the command startx. This will get you into the graphical mode. Then from your menu go to the Mandriva Control Center (MCC) and choose the boot options and set auto login and grapical interface. Good luck.