hdd is nearly dead ["solved"]

arctic

With all due respect, you are both wrong :P

There's nothing virtual in a Live CD. A live CD is a real OS, that starts from CD instead of starting from HD.

With the Virtual PC approach, you have, say, $HOME/tmp/bochs.hda.img "plugged" into Bochs' first IDE drive, by the means of the configuration file, and $HOME/tmp/bochs.hdd.img "plugged" into Bochs' second IDE drive (same way). bochs.hda.img would for example be a ready to use Linux image, or even a Live CD ISO file ;), and bochs.hdd.img would be your faulty drive's image.

Why a virtual PC? Because this virtual PC is a program in a window on your desktop. If the virtual PC "crashes"/freezes, then it just means that the window will close, or that you'll have to xkill it. Restart it (easier than a reboot) and go a little further each time.

Why not a "real PC" (wether it is your usual OS or a live CD)? Because whatever method you choose, you have to mount also the drive where data is saved. In case of a crash because of the faulty drive, you have to perform a real NOT clean reboot, and you might loose data in the process.

I know because it happened to me. Thankfully I had a backup.

Of course, whatever method you choose, it is better to mount the faulty drive read-only.

That said, the simplest method probably is to use a live CD, and save the data over the network with (s)ftp so that no other drive is mounted.

Yves.

sorry, i don't see any BIG difference in both approaches apart from having to mount the drive 100% with a live cd while the virtual box will not really do a fixed mount. yes, the virtual approch is maybe safer but the way it works is very similar to mounting and copying data with a live cd imho.

bah... g33k talk again :P

As Arctic says..............................................More geek talk.

One of the very things that deters newcomers to Linux.

So when you want to save data on a failing Hard Drive use a Live-CD.

Cheers. John.