XFree86 in Mandrake 10.2

Guest paull2k

Guest paull2k

Question here, how would I go about making XFree86 start instead of X.Org in Mandrake Linux 10.2? I currently have both X.Org 6.8.2 and XFree86 4.3.0 installed and would simply like to be able to have XFree86 run in place of X.Org, if this is possible...

Sure. Uninstall x.org (urpme xorg) and then run the configuration program to create a new configuration file for x. Oh, you'll have to do this completely out of x, so boot to the command line; don't even have a window manager running.

Guest paull2k

Ok, will try that in a little bit. But just one thing, been trying things all day long to get it working. I know I said have or, had XFree86 installed, but I don't at present, since I've been using a backup image created by Acronis True Image to restore things when Linux gets messed up.

...Anyway, how, and exactly where would I obtain XF86 from? Not all that familiar with command line, but know enough to get by. After that, I'd need to know where to know which program to run to get XF86 installed and configured.

Actually, I have two questions for you.

1) What is wrong with x.org, or what trouble are you currently having with x?

2) Why do you think XFree86 will fix whatever trouble you are having?

Guest paull2k

It's a bit of a long story, but here it goes:

Well, my current video card is an ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder 9700 Pro, I have 3d hardware acceleration working in Mandrake 10.2 for it. Which in itself was a huge pain.

Next bit of trouble:

Despite my 3d hardware acceleration working correctly, I seem to also have troubles with Wine, and wine-based apps, such as winex, winecvs, cedega, and CrossOver Office. They all have one thing in common, when I try to run either of them, my monitor turns off, with no way to restore power to it other than to restart the computer.

And now, I have read on numerous sources that the newest version of the ATI Linux driver and Wine do not go together very well. However, I have heard a rumor that ATI Linux Driver 3.2.8 and older are supposed to work with wine.

This ultimately brings me to another problem...

The ATI Linux Driver 3.2.8 is only available for XFree86, not X.org.

So I'm trying to find a solution to this. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

The gamers would probably help with this. Off hand, I am unsure of any differences between video drivers and the x systems. But, I have always used Nvidia products. Their support for linux has been around since day 1! Have you checked the gaming area?

Guest paull2k
The gamers would probably help with this. Off hand, I am unsure of any differences between video drivers and the x systems. But, I have always used Nvidia products. Their support for linux has been around since day 1! Have you checked the gaming area?

I don't really need help with getting the graphics drivers installed. Just need to get XF86 installed, and Xorg removed, and XF86 load instead of Xorg. Do you have any instant messaging programs? Would like to talk with you on that if possible. Would make things much easier.

I'm no expert on this, but chances are, that your "old" driver will work with X.Org, even though it was written for XFree86. They are not that much different (for now).

IMHO, it's worth trying.

Yves.

Actually, it will break several gui packages, mostly kde, gnome and some Mandriva gui tools stuff. The thing to do is to write it down and then proceed. I have done it before. I really will give you a step by step!