How can I turn off the root password? [Solved]

Edd

Now before you all scream "Are you insane?!" the answer is no! haha, basically, when I installed Mandriva, there was an option to have no root password, but I chose to have a password. In retrospect, I should have just gone with no password because it does my head in having to keep on typing my password in. I am the only one using the laptop and it is passworded on boot so it's secure enough for my needs. How can I completely turn off the root password so I can just type "su" and then straight to root without the "Password:" message? Thanks!

[moved from Terminal Shell Commands, etc by spinynorman]

Edited by Edd

if you want a root shell you could set up sudo so that you can use it without having to give a password. Then sudo -s would do the same as su without a password.

I expect if you had no root password, su would ask you for a password still, but you'd just press enter. Can't check right now as i'm in windows.

To change the password, use the passwd command from the root account.

Here's how:

su

visudo

Now you are editing the /etc/sudoers file (but you must edit it with visudo). Anyway, press "i" to go into vi edit mode, and go down to the part where is says "%wheel." Add the group of the user you want to go into sudo without a password, identical except for your user rather than "wheel." That way you can do sudo without a password (at least it works for me).