Can't boot after first install -- 2005Le AMD 64

Guest ronepowell

Guest ronepowell

The install of 2005LE seemed to go without a hitch. However, when I tried to boot everything froze. The last line read "kernel panic - not syncing: no init found. Try passing init = option to kernel".

Anyone have any idea what to do next? If this ever gets installed and things look good, then I can join the Mandrake Club and get other sofware.

kernel panic is not a good thing.

Did you burn these yourself, check the md5sum, use good cd media for the burn??

Guest ronepowell

I did burn them after downloading from a public site. I did not check the md5sum, and can't , as my tale of woe gets worse. I downloaded using MEPIS, which Mandriva destroyed when I decided to update my original install (funny, it asked "update 10.2", and it proceeded to move into my MEPIS partition and fry it). So perhaps I should download one more time and try again.

My best guess is that the download was bad. I would put MEPIS back on and start again. Mandriva should not affect any other distro.

Guest ronepowell

Well, I went through the whole download procedure again. Exactly the same results. Honestly, I swear there is something strange about this machine, as I have had a lot of trouble installing linux distros. MEPIS somehow got loaded, but it just does not run as smoothly as it did on my P3 733 machine.

Hmm.. is that the new ATI board with built in video? That chipset is probably too new to be recognized properly (especially in term of video). Now, I am not sure whether you need ATI's own driver for this, but I have a feeling that it's not supported by current ATI driver anyway.

Maybe you need to make sure you put plug and play os option in the bios to off. Or maybe update to the newest bios.

Not sure how much info you want.  I have an athlon 64 3200+, 512 DDR RAM, ATI Radeon express 200 video, 160 GB HD.

It is better for us if you can give the exact model number of the computer or the motherboard, if it is custom build. We can research issues with exact details.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having this same problem too except it's with the non 64 bit version. My current system is kinda old: AMD Duron 1200 (unlocked but not overclocking), 512MB Ram, a VIA KT113A chipset K7T Turbo-R LE mainboard, an S3 Trio Video card (yes its old, getting an XTasy Radeon 9550 AGP for it soon), 12X DVD Rom drive, Maxtor 8GB HD (getting a Seagate 40GB soon too), and a Linksys Network Adapter. My PnP OS setting is set to off, if it makes a difference. I also MD5Summed the ISO's and they are all good.

Edited by Ross L.

Hey I fixed it! Here is what I did:

I went back into the installer and reformatted the hard drive and right after formatting it went on to the Install Packages screen. I chose all the same things, and when I went to boot it up, it works! Takes about 2-3 minutes to boot but oh well. I am happy now. :cheesy: