Gets extremely hot under Linux

Edd

My laptop, while running Linux, gets extremely hot really fast. Where as on Windows, after prolonged use it does get warm but only after a much longer period. I ent so much asking for a fix, but is this wise to keep doing? I mean will I be doing my laptop harm by using Linux if it gets that hot? If there is a way to keep it cool, then great, but if not, as long as it ent damaging my laptop it's ok.

Any ideas/comments?

have you check what are those services that runs in your linux? might be that you have smtp, http, sshd, ftpd or any other services that you dont really need that runs in your linux that causes more cpu usage, thus making your laptop temp. high compared to when booting to windows.

No, you won't see much difference iin the temp after you cull services, your laptop will boot faster that's all. The key to the temp issue is running frequency scaling daemons otherwise called power management tools. Most likely, your laptop runs at a highest frequency all the time, it's like having 100% load nonstop.

Well, I don't have a lappy but I have a friend, and I've helped with his. This was in the early devel of acpi for linux but....in his case we compiled the kernel with a newer toshiba patch. :lol2: wheweee talk about hot...the sucker was hot after boot and we went right into the kernel compile...could have fried food on that puppy for an hour :drum:

Seriously, what lappy? How compat with linux? Is acpi=ht in /etc/lilo.conf or did you wisely change it to acpi=on? etc..etc..

Edited by bvc