LM2005 cd 4 / iso way large for a cd

geden

Grabbed this distro with bittorrent and found out

1. ISO is compressed, so I had to decompress file(s) and reburn images back to hardrive to create a bootable cd ...this needs simplified. Download iso...burn directly to disk, make it that easy.

2. Disk 4 shows up in nero as some 898Mb. A little too large for my 700Mb disk, did someone make a boo-boo? This is the file structure of the disk 4 I got...what is wrong with it, seems many files replicated within folders ..

DKMS

media-----------> [ dkms

[main4

[ plugins

[firmwares

[ modules

Firmware

Modules

Plugins

anyone willing to verify this?

or suggest what fat to trim to create the iso?

Edited by geden

Greets!

We are not officially affiliated with Mandriva. We are a community of users who happen to be their best tech support! (No charge to them!)

The iso's are not compressed. Just download and burn. Would you list the source of the download? is it official?

I have never had any trouble with Mandrake/Mandriva as far as size of their media. Did you get the iso of the dvd by mistake??

Actually I got it directly from Mandrivaclub (I'm a silver member) The other cd's seemed to burn ok but they did first appear as a compressed file. Neither Nero or kB3

would treat thse raw downloads as an iso. I physically had to decompress each downloaded cd (with winrar), store it on my HD and use Nero to create image files from the extracted files. THEN I could actually burn a bootable install cd. ...It was odd as I have done it your way before successfully(with 10.1pp) but it just wouldn't fly this time.

I physically had to decompress each downloaded cd (with winrar)

You'll have to redownload cd-4 and any other iso you let winrar touch. These are not compressed files; they are isos. The windows winrar has the ability to open/extract an iso so you can see what files it contains. Winrar also automatically associates itself with all .iso files in windows and gives every iso a .rar file extension. This is a common problem and there are other posts on the board about it.

In general, letting winrar extract the iso makes the data unusable for cd burning purposes so you will have to redownload. For each cd you should have a single .iso file which you burn as an image in nero. Extracted isos from winrar will have a directory tree of the files that will ultimately wind up on the cd if you burn them but burning these files to a cdr as a data cd won't work.

Redownload and reset the preferences in winrar so it doesn't automatically glom onto every iso and try to extract it.

You'll have to redownload cd-4 and any other iso you let winrar touch.

Absolutely not. Winrar does not modify ISO images in any way, it just reads them and extracts files+folders- and even this function is not complete, for example it won't vbe able to read the MAC part of a hybrid ISO image.

So, unless he deleted the downloaded images and/or the images were not corrupted by the BT client, they are still perfectly usable.

Winrar doesn't modify the data, but the chances of the data winding up in the exact sectors on the cd as the original when you burn the extracted data as a data cd are nil. This may be OK for cd-4 but it will render the bootable cds, cd-1 and cd-2, unbootable.

For a cd to be bootable, certain specific data must appear on certain cd sectors. Burning the iso as an image insures this is the case because it gives you a sector by sector exact copy of the original cd.

I haven't used nero for a while, but I doubt geden's step 1 will work properly as nero creates DOS bootable cds in a manner different than all linux distros use(i.e. with the isolinux bootloader).

At any rate, this is a recurring problem with winrar that has been gone over many times. See for eg:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...&hl=winrar&st=0

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=20221&hl=winrar

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=17010&hl=winrar